Thread: Strip AutoCAD to basics to maximize speed

Wish List Administration

Default Strip AutoCAD to basics to maximize speed

Summary: Always looking for commands, settings and system changes that will help speed up the software in 2D.

Description: We use AutoCAD exclusivelyins 2D. We are always looking for ways of increasing speed. We are on the web constantly looking settings to change. I would like a single dialog box that deals with all the performance related settings and the impact in functionality and speed of turning them on and off.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Deployment

Submitted By: Guillermo Monter on 10/28/2014

Default Re: Strip AutoCAD to basics to maximize speed

Might want to look at Draftsight. Autodesk marketing seems to be feature and bling driven much more so than something as plebian as performance with 2d work,

AUGI Addict

Not saying this is the specific case, but twiddling system variables and asking others to do away with features they like or want won't compensate for bad work practices. A 70 MB DWG file will still perform sluggishly regardless of how many features are removed.

Wasn't Core Console (CC, aka AcCoreConsole.exe, and AcCore.dll) broken away from the application (Acad.exe), to make possible this very wish?

I get that the OP actually want features stripped from application... I'm just saying that CC is full of potential, given the fact one can run it in parallel (multi-threading), instead of just sequential (single-threaded) as is the case for batch processing within application... CC takes basic Scripts (.SCR, in addition to other APIs), so if you can drop an .SCR to process two or more drawings, this is already available to you, without advanced .NET, or ObjectARX APIs (technically .ARX isn't supported by CC, but can be ported to .CRX, blah, blah).

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

well, if you're doing something that can be done non-interactively, then core console is interesting. but if you want to do any _drawing_ interactively...

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    well, if you're doing something that can be done non-interactively, then core console is interesting. but if you want to do any _drawing_ interactively...
    Certainly... Per usual, I jest, in part.

Wonder if the OP has tried clean screen?

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Wasn't Core Console (CC, aka AcCoreConsole.exe, and AcCore.dll) broken away from the application (Acad.exe), to make possible this very wish?

Love the CC. Just need an application for it

I've run a few tests with it using script files on a directory full of drawings... blazing fast.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Love the CC. Just need an application for it
    I have a small handful of ideas, and yet to invest the time to see them through to the testing stage.

While a big fan of the Autopublish mechanism, I'm actually exploring the possibility of employing CC to replace both that, and standard PUBLISH... Specifically using CC in parallel (geek translation: multi-threading, where each drawing being plotted in its own thread, simultaneously).

I can see something like this also being used to replace small LISP tools like this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    I've run a few tests with it using script files on a directory full of drawings... blazing fast.
    How'd you call CC, ScriptPro?

Unless you were running a custom .NET app, I assume you used CC sequentially, and were still impressed with the results... Task and available workstation resources-dependent, it only gets better.

[Edit] - Not sure if you work in a virtualized environment or not, but you can always initiate the process on another VM hosted on your server, to perform the grunt work as well, which is what I'm toying with despite having hex-core Xeon, 32 GB RAM in my workstation.

Cheers

Computer Specs: