Thread: Plant 3D & Revit Collaboration

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Plant 3D & Revit Collaboration

Hello all! We are using Plant Design Suite for our utility piping design for a large part of our business. We also have architects, mechanical & electrical engineers using Revit for the facility design of the infrastructure around the processing line. The two programs, Plant Design 3D & Revit, do not collaborate well. There are many steps to import the Plant Design model into Revit so that the Revit designers can do their design. And the integration of the PD model is static not dynamic so that the PD model has to be re-imported into the Revit model daily. Likewise with the Revit model into the PD model; the Revit model has to export its model to an AutoCAD format and be attached to the PD model.

Navisworks makes a great tool for integrating the models but it is a 3rd software. It does not solve the problem of the live model integration.

Does anyone have this problem with Plant Design and Revit and what solutions are there to make this work better?

Is anyone aware of what, if anything AutoDesk is doing to correct this problem now or in the future? Thank you.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plant 3D & Revit Collaboration

Navisworks maybe your only hope for sometime to come. Though a cumbersome solution, it provides the necessary interface that you'll need to work effectively. I know of situations where the operators have Navisworks open on one screen of a dual monitor system, and their AutoCAD based product on the second. This way they can see what they're doing in the context of the model.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gneuhaus682935 View Post
    Hello all! We are using Plant Design Suite for our utility piping design for a large part of our business. We also have architects, mechanical & electrical engineers using Revit for the facility design of the infrastructure around the processing line. The two programs, Plant Design 3D & Revit, do not collaborate well. There are many steps to import the Plant Design model into Revit so that the Revit designers can do their design. And the integration of the PD model is static not dynamic so that the PD model has to be re-imported into the Revit model daily. Likewise with the Revit model into the PD model; the Revit model has to export its model to an AutoCAD format and be attached to the PD model.

Navisworks makes a great tool for integrating the models but it is a 3rd software. It does not solve the problem of the live model integration.

Does anyone have this problem with Plant Design and Revit and what solutions are there to make this work better?

Is anyone aware of what, if anything AutoDesk is doing to correct this problem now or in the future? Thank you.

Hi there,

Did you ever get a solution for this problem?
    We are facing the same issue in that the company has selected Plant 3D as our platform but the majority (95%) of the structures we design and build in this office are made of concrete.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gneuhaus682935 View Post

I want to eliminate the headaches. So, I'm streaming more towards Revit MEP as the primary tool. We'll have to add pipe families and other families but a one stop shop looks worth it to me.

Now what to do about P&IDs?

Login to Give a bone

Autocad P&ID??? I'm a veteran autodesk user who loves revit and comes from general building, but over the past year and one half I've found myself in a plant environment that uses Bentley none the less. Their main software which is dedicated to this realm is Open Plant and it is a bear to learn. I feel like I'm learning Chinese. That being said, they have a direct linkage between the P&ID and the 3D model. I thought maybe Autodesk had a better solution, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Or am I reading this one thread wrong? best regards... and good luck.

Login to Give a bone

I’ve found that if I explode the Plant3D objects one time, it will display shaded in Revit. Exploding once turns the pipe to Autocad solids, turns the fittings into blocks with solids in it, turns equipment to blocks with solids in it. I cannot manage the colors after linking into Revit. It changes to different colors than what is set in Autocad. This way requires me to make a separate cad file for the Plant3D models, where I can explode everything one time, then save it, and use that file to import into Revit. All the parts are just solids without data. But that's the price I pay for having to use Plant3D for mechanical. It's a shame. I can export from Revit to Autocad/Plant3D. But cannot export from Plant3D to Revit. Linking Plant3D to Revit through Model In Place will import the model but only wireframe displays.