Thread: Can't seem edit a Nested Family without the Original file that was nested.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Can't Edit a Nested Family without the Original file that was nested.

I have a fan unit family (file B) that was created originally as a different file (file A) and nested into File B. File A is now no longer available.

I would now like to edit the family but the 'Edit Family' button does absolutely nothing and I cant get back to the file that was nested. Is this because the original file A is no longer available?

Is there any way to edit File A again? I thought you would just be able to edit the nested elements.... no?

Michael
    Last edited by mrgrotey649416; 2014-11-12 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Title Clarity

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't seem edit a Nested Family without the Original file that was nested.

Ok here's a video of my problem but it has now thankfully been solved by a member on a different forum.

http://screencast.com/t/85AM3G0ytFn

You basically need to rename the family in the project browser and it then 'unlocks' itself and is then able to be edited. God knows why.
    You must rename the parent collapsible part of the family not its child as the below image shows.

Capture.JPG