Thread: XenDesktop VDI office-wide for Revit

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default XenDesktop VDI office-wide for Revit

I'd like to know if any architectural firms with +/- 30 users have attempted to completely virtualize all CAD and Revit users' computers and provide thin clients instead of workstations. I imagine you would need a massively powerful server to deliver acceptable performance, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any experiences, either good or bad, attempting this. We're looking at Citrix XenDesktop VDI.

All I got from Autodesk when I asked was this article, which doesn't really talk about performance or user experience.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: XenDesktop VDI office-wide for Revit

Quote Originally Posted by esaltz683161 View Post
    I'd like to know if any architectural firms with +/- 30 users have attempted to completely virtualize all CAD and Revit users' computers and provide thin clients instead of workstations. I imagine you would need a massively powerful server to deliver acceptable performance, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any experiences, either good or bad, attempting this. We're looking at Citrix XenDesktop VDI.

All I got from Autodesk when I asked was this article, which doesn't really talk about performance or user experience. http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...F55E2-htm.html
    Welcome to AUGI.

While not working for an architectural firm, nor do we have 30 users, I've been looking for ways to introduce VDI into our environment having recently upgraded from Windows Server 2003 SBS, Exchange 2003, WinXP Pro x86, Land Desktop 2004 to VLSC Windows Server 2012 R2, Exchange 2013, Win8.1 Pro x64, IDSP 2015.

More specifically, to implement VDI for non-critical production workstations first, such as Admin, reprographic, and survey crew (time cards, internet only) machines... This would provide a test environment for me to assess, and potentially leverage as use case for future server upgrade plans with the owner (to whom I report).

Not sure what server hardware you already have and are planning to use, or new hardware you're planning to implement, but you're effectively moving all of your processing for each user to the server to be done in parallel... Your resultant server cluster will have to be capable of dynamically handling that load. You can setup your environment in myriad configurations, and each has their trade-offs; the biggest being cost.

As example (forgive the Hyper-V terminology), if you have a server with dual Oct-Core Xeon processors, 64 GB RAM, and Quad-Gigabit NIC, you can distribute a maximum of 3 virtual machines with 4 virtual processors, 16 GB RAM, and a dedicated vEthernet virtual switch connection (maybe you need more, or less?).

[Edit] - Saving the remaining resources for your host's consumption. Again, depending on your environment, your host(s) may need to run on more, or less.

You can obviously implement better server specs, and/or multiple servers, but you're going to have to clearly identify both the requirements you need to meet today, and those down the road to cover on-demand 'upgrades' (i.e., on the fly VM settings changes) through your upgrade cycle's term (i.e., 4 years, etc.), just as you would for an environment of per-user physical workstations.

There's certainly more to consider, but this is the best I could offer passing through on a quick lunch break.

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-11-19 at 06:32 PM.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000