Thread: Account Settings?

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Account Settings?

Okay folks

Hopefully someone out there will know of what, where or how on this one. At the present we are running on a stand alone network from the rest of the company (I know pretty cool) but like most places eventually the IT department will eventually get their hands on our systems and install their own set up etc. The trouble is as with most IT they like to restrict your use of the machine to pressing the on and off button and little else. I do know from the past that if certain areas are locked down then it becomes difficult to actually do some things on the programs. areas like CTB files and cui files etc. Is there then anything from Autodesk etc that specifies access requirements to these areas.

Would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction on this please before it's too late.

cheers

Doodle

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Account Settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Doodlemusmaximus View Post
    Hopefully someone out there will know of what, where or how on this one. At the present we are running on a stand alone network from the rest of the company (I know pretty cool) but like most places eventually the IT department will eventually get their hands on our systems and install their own set up etc. The trouble is as with most IT they like to restrict your use of the machine to pressing the on and off button and little else. I do know from the past that if certain areas are locked down then it becomes difficult to actually do some things on the programs. areas like CTB files and cui files etc. Is there then anything from Autodesk etc that specifies access requirements to these areas.
    CAD users should have write access to all folders created with the installation of AutoCAD products... This includes, but may not be limited to, C:\Program Files\Autodesk (default; your installation path may be different), C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\, and %AppData%\Autodesk\ (for Win7-Win8.1).

[Edit] - They should also have write access to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\ in registry.

In a network environment, CAD Admin(s) should also have write access to any/all folders where AutoCAD support files are located, whereas CAD users should have read-only access to same.

Also, depending on your license implementation - some use stand-alone, where the license resides on the physical user machine, others use Network License Manager - Admin/users may also require additional server share access to properly consume product licenses... Same goes for other 3rd party add-ons, such as AutoTURN, etc., so be sure to have IT configure Share permissions accordingly.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Nothing out of the ordinary, meaning that you (the end user) do not need "power user" or "administrator" rights, only regular "user" access.
    I don't know all the details regarding being "Windows 7 Logo Compatible", but "following user account control (UAC) guidelines" is one of the steps, and that pretty much ensures that you (the user) and the application do not need any special access above and beyond what a normal "user" needs.

So generally speaking, you'll be OK no matter what your IT department does.

Here for example, the directories that store the CTB, PMP, and PC3 files, and our template files, and lisp file, etc., are set to read-only on purpose so that those files remain unchanged. This is beyond what AutoCAD requires, this is simply our company preference.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

It does also depend on the acad version that you're using; older ones (pre 2010 ? ) may require more access as they weren't written for Win_7.