See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map Import

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Map Import

I am following a map import tutorial for importing ESRI shape files so that topo comes with assigned elevations.

Assigning coordinate system brings the prompt at command line instead of the dialogue box. How do I change this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Map Import

Quote Originally Posted by tim_newsome View Post
    I am following a map import tutorial for importing ESRI shape files so that topo comes with assigned elevations.
    I personally import the linework, and then apply elevations via Query to an attached drawing.

Assigning coordinate system brings the prompt at command line instead of the dialogue box. How do I change this?
    Default is to use 'current drawing coordinate system'... Have you considered assigning the desired coordinate system, and then invoking MAPIMPORT Command?

Cheers

[Edit] - Also, I've moved this thread from the AutoCAD forum to the Map 3D forum.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I have, I am at the point now where I am trying the query method through the "mapwspace" task pane. I can not get the attach drawing to work.

Login to Give a bone

I can not get the attach drawing to work.
    More information is needed.

What steps have you taken, and how do you know they have not worked?

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

When I right click Drawing and data click attach I get the attach box. I try to select my file and the add or remove button are staying grayed. It looks as if I need to set up some type of user login to access and use the "mapwspace" task pane. I am completely lost where to go now. Can this app be set up so that no login is necessary? If not, then what?
    Last edited by tim_newsome; 2014-12-10 at 04:11 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Importing a SHP file into an empty drawing, using the MAPIMPORT command, requires no login. set the coordinate system of the drawing before importing, and make sure you import the Elevation as Object Data. then save that drawing.

After that, you'll use the Map Workspace to attach the just-saved drawing, and query in the contours.

btw -- where is the tutorial you are following? might help & be less confusing if we can reference it and make sure we are using the same terminology they are.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

That's the point at which I am stuck. I have the file with topo as object data open. So what is the procedure for query of the contour lines?

Login to Give a bone

Just to make sure we're on the same page, here's what I do:

Use MAPIMPORT Command to select .SHP file. In Import dialog, select ellipse button in Data column, in Attribute Data dialog select 'Create object data' radio button (you may need to subsequently select 'Select Fields...' button accordingly), select OK button, check the 'import polygons as closed polylines checkbox, and select OK button. Your shapefile will then be imported. Save the drawing, let's call it FOO here, and then Close your newly saved FOO drawing.

Open a new drawing (QNEW?), use MAPWSPACE Command, switch to Map Explorer tab, right click Drawings node, select attach. In select drawings to attach dialog, double click on your FOO drawing (you may need to add a new 'Look in' alias if you cannot navigate to FOO drawing; use the Create\Edit Alias button accordingly), and select OK button. FOO drawing is now attached.

In MAPWSPACE task pane, right click Current Query node, and select Define... menu item. In Define Query of Attached Drawing(s) dialog, select Location... button. In Location Condition dialog, under Boundary Type select All radio button, select OK button. In Define Query of Attached Drawing(s) dialog, under Query mode, select Draw radio button, then under Options select Alter Properties... button. In Set Property Alterations dialog, under Select Property, select Elevation radio button, then under Expression select Expression... button. In Property Alteration Expression dialog, expand Object Data node, and select the appropriate Field which represents the desired elevations (i.e., CONTOUR_EL, etc.), and select OK button. In Set Property Alterations dialog, select Add button, then select OK button. In Define Query of Attached Drawing(s) dialog, select Execute Query button. The linework is being drawn in the active document, and elevations are being applied.

Use the ADESELOBJS Command, Select Command Option, and select all drawn entities in order to add to the save set (I've personally had issues with the allNew Command Option in the past; may work fine for you). Use ADESAVEOBJS Command to save back to the source (aka the attached) drawing. The elevations you've just queried are being saved back to your FOO drawing. In MAPWSPACE task pane, right click your attached, FOO drawing, select Detach (you won't be able to open it until it is detached), Close the active drawing, and open FOO drawing. Lemon squeezy.

[Edit] - OMG, it takes exponentially more time to type all that out, then it does to just do the deed! LoL

Now that you've got all of your elevations imported, you can remove all Object Data using this:

Code:
    (defun c:ODD () (c:OjectDataDelete))
    (defun c:OjectDataDelete (/ odTables i n)
      (princ "\rOBJECTDATADELETE ")
      (if (and (setq odTables (ade_odtablelist))
               (setq i (length odTables))
               (setq n 0)
               (princ "\nWorking, please wait... ")
               (princ)
          )
        (progn
          (foreach odTableName (ade_odtablelist)
            (ade_oddeletetab odTableName)
            (setq n (1+ n))
          )
          (princ "Done. ")
          (prompt
            (strcat "\nRemoved "
                    (itoa n)
                    " of "
                    (itoa i)
                    " object data table"
                    (if (= 1 i)
                      ". "
                      "s. "
                    )
            )
          )
        )
        (prompt "\n** No object data tables found ** ")
      )
      (princ)
    )

;; if not being loaded into map-enabled application
    (if (not ade_odtablelist)

;; disabled these functions
      (setq c:ODD (setq c:OjectDataDelete nil))
    )

(princ)

HTH
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2015-11-05 at 03:20 PM.

Computer Specs:

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I am on my way, just one issue. (R) click of Current Query brings prompts at command line instead of dialogue box. How can I change this variable so I get the box?

Login to Give a bone

I am on my way, just one issue. (R) click of Current Query brings prompts at command line instead of dialogue box. How can I change this variable so I get the box?
    Try setting CMDDIA system variable == 1.

Computer Specs:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast