See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Do you use the SmartClient?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 60.00%
  • No, still on thick client

1 20.00%
  • No, just use WebCentral

0 0%
  • What's SmartClient?

1 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archibus: Do you use the SmartClient?

Login to Give a bone

Default Archibus: Do you use the SmartClient?

In the archibus forum, which usually doesn't see much traffic, I've seen a jump in posts about the SmartClient.

I'm curious how people are finding the change?
    I use the old thickclient day to day and get on okay with it, have only used smartclient during my sysadmin training last year.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts from other users about how they find the differences.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Archibus: Do you use the SmartClient?

I would say that the smart client is worth using for the extension to AutoCAD which I find a lot more robust than the overlay in a 64bit environment. Plus it seems a bit more straight forward for users to pick up with the ribbon interface. Having said that still use the windows for a lot of Archibus support stuff.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot_CAD View Post
    I would say that the smart client is worth using for the extension to AutoCAD which I find a lot more robust than the overlay in a 64bit environment. Plus it seems a bit more straight forward for users to pick up with the ribbon interface. Having said that still use the windows for a lot of Archibus support stuff.
    Thanks for chiming in.
    I agree the smart client has a much less intimidating interface, but, I didn't have the chance to try the AutoCAD extension. That's good to know.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    In the archibus forum, which usually doesn't see much traffic, I've seen a jump in posts about the SmartClient.

I'm curious how people are finding the change?
    I use the old thickclient day to day and get on okay with it, have only used smartclient during my sysadmin training last year.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts from other users about how they find the differences.
    I'm fairly new to the organization I'm working for.

Currently spear-heading Archibus migration from v.14 to v.22; as you can imagine, it's quite a change.

The thickclient is fantastic, I find SmartClient to not be as fluid as one would want it to be; but we must keep up with the times.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by IrfanaliGulamhusein719055 View Post
    I'm fairly new to the organization I'm working for.

Currently spear-heading Archibus migration from v.14 to v.22; as you can imagine, it's quite a change.

The thickclient is fantastic, I find SmartClient to not be as fluid as one would want it to be; but we must keep up with the times.
    Oh, yes, I'd imagine that is a HUGE change! I went from 19 to 21.2 and that was enough of a shock to my users.

I used the SmartClient in my SysAdmin training with Archibus, and it seemed to me easier to navigate, but, they did acknowledge that some tasks were easier in the thick client that they knew I'd be using. ~shrugs~
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Oh, yes, I'd imagine that is a HUGE change! I went from 19 to 21.2 and that was enough of a shock to my users.

I used the SmartClient in my SysAdmin training with Archibus, and it seemed to me easier to navigate, but, they did acknowledge that some tasks were easier in the thick client that they knew I'd be using. ~shrugs~
    Is there anywhere in particular you go (forums/guides) for Archibus related information? I've found the Archibus forums, but they seem to be rather quiet for something so widely used.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by IrfanG View Post
    Is there anywhere in particular you go (forums/guides) for Archibus related information? I've found the Archibus forums, but they seem to be rather quiet for something so widely used.
    Haha, if you've been to the Archibus forums, you've seen 50% of the posts there are mine, too, so you know I've been searching, too.

LinkedIn has a pretty active Archibus group, but, I'm not sure about the content, because that is blocked here from work and I haven't found the time to dig through it much on my own.
    It seems most people are just asking their business partners who ask each other or Archibus directly. The business partners have blogs or write articles, but, it's more what the software CAN do, not how to make it do so (I guess I understand, that's kind of valuable knowledge).

It's been a challenge for me, being so familiar with the extremely vibrant Autodesk communities and beta opportunities, etc and I don't have those things as a user for this. Bit of a culture shock to be honest.
    (and, of course, if anyone has some archibus knowledge, how-to's, tips and tricks, actual content to share, I am happy to publish it on my site. Most of my guest posters are traditional AEC folks, and I'm 'discouraged' by my current company to blog myself.)

As for guides, just the help files (when you can get the language right... it's easier to use google search to turn up relevant results than to search the help files directly, but, some features are so similar in naming it is still a challenge). I've got some training manuals that I got when I was in Boston doing the SysAdmin course and a couple of best practices guides for polylining from my business partner, but, aside from that, I haven't used anything else. Usually, I'm just learning by tinkering, when I have the time.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I use the Smart Client almost daily. We recently migrated to Archibus from another software, and Smart Client and the AutoCAD extensions were definitely the deciding factors.
    Last edited by randy.wallace367807; 2016-02-18 at 05:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Downside to being in a large facility? IT restrictions. I've been waiting for a month tomorrow to have the SmartClient installed. I've got a new building I kinda need to polyline.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Haha, if you've been to the Archibus forums, you've seen 50% of the posts there are mine, too, so you know I've been searching, too.

LinkedIn has a pretty active Archibus group, but, I'm not sure about the content, because that is blocked here from work and I haven't found the time to dig through it much on my own.
    It seems most people are just asking their business partners who ask each other or Archibus directly. The business partners have blogs or write articles, but, it's more what the software CAN do, not how to make it do so (I guess I understand, that's kind of valuable knowledge).

It's been a challenge for me, being so familiar with the extremely vibrant Autodesk communities and beta opportunities, etc and I don't have those things as a user for this. Bit of a culture shock to be honest.
    (and, of course, if anyone has some archibus knowledge, how-to's, tips and tricks, actual content to share, I am happy to publish it on my site. Most of my guest posters are traditional AEC folks, and I'm 'discouraged' by my current company to blog myself.)

As for guides, just the help files (when you can get the language right... it's easier to use google search to turn up relevant results than to search the help files directly, but, some features are so similar in naming it is still a challenge). I've got some training manuals that I got when I was in Boston doing the SysAdmin course and a couple of best practices guides for polylining from my business partner, but, aside from that, I haven't used anything else. Usually, I'm just learning by tinkering, when I have the time.
    I've seen some posts around the world of Reddit with regards to ARCHIBUS, as such I've taken the liberty to create a sub-reddit in which these fellow users can come and perhaps I can direct them to the ARCHIBUS forums or this forum - Or maybe even create a neutral space for each sharing of information.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ARCHIBUS/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast