So I am having some trouble training a new employee that has been with the company now for 3 months. I have trained other employees in the past with less experience and have had wonderful results. I teach a very specific way. I explain what needs to be done for the project and the markups from the engineer. Explain what certain elements, where to find certain CAD items like blocks, templates etc. The first month is basic stuff so that they get use to the styles and layers, so most of the time they are making quick edits to the plans, adding notes some minor plan changes, etc. Then I will break them into setup work. Another easy way to get people orientated into the correct way to work with the projects. Then progressively over time integrate more and more complex items. That's how I go about teaching.

So we hired the person who passed the CAD test that was administered the best. Which is based on CAD fundamentals. Lately it seems that this candidate has no fundamentals. For example, I just opened up a drawing that has 2 tables in it. Both of them where exploded to be edited and then turned into a block.

Some of the stuff that was done a month ago was done great. Now the same stuff can be done and its like the person hasn't done it before ever. There are basic projects that require very limited CAD time, adding notes, some charts etc. And I constantly have to point out that the wrong template file was used and that the wrong text styles, etc. from project to project.

The person also teaches AutoCAD and Revit at a local community college too.

Not sure where to go on this. Any thoughts?