Thread: Multi-Level Room Tag

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Multi-Level Room Tag

The preamble
    I am working on a 36 storey residential tower. The plan and unit types vary at four different levels. I have created plans for the different levels only and have copied the slabs to each of the other levels so my sections look OK. All level markers are shown but do not have associated plan views.
    In order to assist the contractor and developer with tracking options purchased I would like to have room tags for all units on all levels. I figure the easiest way to do this is to have the demising walls go full height through the building and then each of the levels can be tagged and scheduled separately. My problem is how to copy the room tags from level to level and have the numbers change to reflect the level (unit number 305, 405… 2405 etc.) Since I have no plan views available, and I don’t want to clutter the project browser with 30 or so unnecessary plans, how can this be done?

The wish
    A room tag with a multi-level option. The tag would be placed on the lowest level and you would be prompted for the top level. The tag would then pick up the level parameter from the level marker, incrementing the room number so it displays the appropriate floor.
    Each of the tags could be scheduled individually and instance parameters would allow for different paint schemes, counter top options, floor finishes etc.

Barring that ‘uber’ tag does anyone have a better suggestion for keeping all this in Revit?
    Thanks

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multi-Level Room Tag

Ah, that's a good one.

Sadly, I don't think you can schedule an untagged room. And you can't tag a room without a plan view of it. So I believe you're going to have to create plan views and tag the whole shootin' match.

Have you ever customised the Project Browser? You could add a parameter to views so you could blow off a bunch of plans into a separate folder so they'd be outa sight...

Login to Give a bone

You can schedule untagged rooms, they will report they are untagged so they won't know what level they are on. Revit allows you to program your rooms prior to even creating a wall. The only problem it it will take a lot of typing so it may be quicker to go ahead and copy/paste align the roomtags to all levels Or you could add a level parameter to your roomtag where you input a range, ie level 7-16 .
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the responses.

The range parameter on the tag was my first thought but the issue is one of wanting each unit called up so we can track what finish package and options the client chooses.
    Looks like the client will have to keep ttrack of this stuff themselves but it would be nice to offer this as a service of the drawings.
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Multi-Level Room Tag

In the same vein well sort of... I am currently working on a multi level open deck parking structure, we have bunch of exit stairs that are defined with a room boundary line. I would like to be able to tag these stairs with the same name...for example, Exit Stair #1 on levels 1-6. Suggestions?

Thanks - Chris

Christopher Kozub
    Dal Pos Architects LLC

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cpk
    ...for example, Exit Stair #1... on levels 1-6. Suggestions?
    What about naming Exit Stair #1-L1, Exit Stair #1-L2...etc placing a tag at each level? It allows a common name theme and to calculate the area for each level for cost purposes.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah - Thought about that, it's an office standard thing vs this is the what we can do in revit thing. Thanks for the reply

Chris

Christopher Kozub
    Dal Pos Architects LLC

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cpk
    ...Yeah - Thought about that, it's an office standard thing vs this is the what we can do in revit thing. Thanks for the reply...
    You know...you can name them the same...just not number them the same. What if you number them differently but use the same name?

So, Exit Stair #1 is the name for all but the number is ES1L1...ES1L2 and so on? It'll be hard to figure out in the schedule unless you have the sort by level or somesuch.

Login to Give a bone

I'm working on a project that is similar to this thread topic that I could use some assistance with. I am fairly new to Revit and haven't had much training in the program. I've completed an online tutorial which covered some of the basics, but I feel like it only scratched the surface of even the basics. Anyways, I have a model that was created by a client. I have all of the rooms in the model tagged, including chase spaces, elevators, and stairs. My problem is that I need to have a room tag that represents a space at every level of the building; so for instance, the elevator shaft goes from the main floor to the third floor and is labeled 100A. I need it to be labeled 100A on the first floor, 200A on the second floor, and 300A on the third floor. I am having a similar problem with the stairs. The other part of this problem is that I'd like for these tags to appear in the room schedule and have an accurate area of the space. I know that I could create a "dumb" tag and use this to get the correctly labeled room tags, but this doesn't solve my area problem. I'd really appreciate some extra guidance with this. Thank you in advance.

Login to Give a bone

When this thread was started Revit did not have a room object and all room information was contained in the tag. This created my original issue. No plan, nowhere to place the tag to get an area reporting. Now it is the room object that carries the data. The tag simply reports that information.
    As long as your rooms are placed on each level and you have the walls (or room separation lines) required to 'contain' the room objects you'll get accurate areas reported in your schedules. As for your elevator shaft, just make sure that the room extents go from level to level rather than having a single room with extents from lowest level to uppermost.
    Manage room names and other room data from within the schedule rather than opening plans and selecting rooms.
    You can copy rooms to the clipboard and paste/aligned to other levels.