Thread: DataTools Connection to Published NWD file with Embedded Database Properties

Login to Give a bone

Default DataTools Connection to Published NWD file with Embedded Database Properties

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can answer some of my questions:

1. I have been trying to link an external SQL database to a published NWD file (may be re-saved) with embedded database properties without any luck. Has anyone done this before or is it possible without a 3rd party tool like iConstruct? I can make a datatools link using the native dwg files and external SQL databases before publishing, but not after publishing in the new file. I can append dwgs and resave the file after publishing, but it seems the datatools have been locked after the publishing has been used and opening the new file because it does not even acknowledge any link at all.
    2. Can you query a new datalink from another new datalink? Example: A standard new Bentley AutoPLANT piping datatools link called "PDW" that lists "Line Number" in SQL is created. Another new database link called "CASS" with SQL String "SELECT * FROM SYSTEM_NO WHERE "TAG_NO" = %prop("PDW","Line Number");" to link the two tables together is created. When I select a component in Navisworks the "PDW" datalink tab is empty and all the Bentley AutoPLANT data is pushed to the "CASS" datalink tab. When I turn off the "CASS" datatools link the "PDW" datatools link works as expected.

Any ideas?

Dan

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DataTools Connection to Published NWD file with Embedded Database Properties

Hi guys, here is the response from the developer:

Sounds like they published an existing NWD with an existing DataTools connection embedded in it. This disables DataTools, because it’s supposed to be a snapshot of database entries retrieved at that time.

..so unfortunately we cannot currently support the workflow that the customer is requesting (adding additional Datatools connections to an NWD with published datatools conent).

Best regards
    Richard Parker