See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .NET for Revit

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question .NET for Revit

Hi all,

i want to begin learning programming for revit, i know a little of LISP but i want something that i can use with revit, anyone recommends any tutorials or books specifically for revit .NET or which do you recon is better for revit?

Thanks in Advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: .NET for Revit

Hi there, I've moved this from the programming forums over to the revit area, as I believe you might get a better response here.

Cheers.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by valejandro_ibarra View Post
    Hi all,

i want to begin learning programming for revit, i know a little of LISP but i want something that i can use with revit, anyone recommends any tutorials or books specifically for revit .NET or which do you recon is better for revit?

Thanks in Advance
    If .NET development for Revit is anything like .NET development for AutoCAD, I'd strongly suggest you first spend +/- a year becoming adept at .NET development concepts, Windows development, and even Visual Studio *before* you ever start digging into the Revit API.

I've personally found Andrew Troelsen's books on C# to be well written, and easy to understand.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks, im going to look for books of Andrew

Regards
    Alex

Login to Give a bone

First, skip VB.Net. It would seem to be the first choice as VB used to be simple to pick up and implement. However, you'll find most of the code examples in C#. That will be your preferred language when working with Revit. Plenty of examples to learn from and plenty of support. Converting code from C# to VB.Net isn't straightforward.

Second, download and install Visual Studio Express. VS 2013 does have some tweaks you'll need to get familiar with. Older versions were a little simpler to set up for Revit so you might want to see if you can install an older version.

Third, read everything at http://adndevblog.typepad.com/aec/jeremy-tammik.html There is plenty of sample code and discussion there to get you started. You'll definitely want to download Jeremy's sample tools including Snoop DB from Github. It will help you learn the underlying structure of the Revit objects and API.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple View Post
    First, skip VB.Net. It would seem to be the first choice as VB used to be simple to pick up and implement. However, you'll find most of the code examples in C#. That will be your preferred language when working with Revit. Plenty of examples to learn from and plenty of support. Converting code from C# to VB.Net isn't straightforward.

Second, download and install Visual Studio Express. VS 2013 does have some tweaks you'll need to get familiar with. Older versions were a little simpler to set up for Revit so you might want to see if you can install an older version.

Third, read everything at http://adndevblog.typepad.com/aec/jeremy-tammik.html There is plenty of sample code and discussion there to get you started. You'll definitely want to download Jeremy's sample tools including Snoop DB from Github. It will help you learn the underlying structure of the Revit objects and API.
    1+

This parallels my own experience with AutoCAD .NET API - I believe Microsoft now calls it Visual Studio Community in lieu of Express, if you're having trouble finding a pre-2013 release.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

So Visual Studio Express is the way to go .
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Certainly start out with the Autodesk Revit API tutorial on the Autodesk Developers Network website. There you will find a number of tools and that of the Revit SDK which has a number of samples to get you started. There are also a number of blogs but the one I get alot of great information from is Jeremy Tammik's "The Building Coder" located at https://shar.es/1rfB1R. Good luck and be patient it will come in time.

Login to Give a bone

Hi - Hundreds of people have learned the Revit API and C# from my online video course. You can save $50 with this coupon - https://www.udemy.com/revitapi/?couponCode=199

I could stop if I wanted to hugh.69031's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by valejandro_ibarra View Post
    So Visual Studio Express is the way to go .
    Thanks
    Unless you have a copy of VS 2012 Professional.

As mentioned, the API examples on the ADN website are a good intro, as is Jeremy's blog, especially the project wizard mentioned here:
    http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/wizard/#3 - both will save a ton of time getting something going within Revit.

Installing something of interest from the SDK and watching how it works before tweaking it is a good way to see some of the moving parts.

Also the Revit API CHM help file is a pretty good reference.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast