Thread: Trim and Extend not working as desired

Login to Give a bone

Default Trim and Extend not working as desired

So, I know this is a long shot, but here goes.

I have a number of users (myself included) who are struggling with trim and extend in 2015.

We draw a line. We draw lines perpendicular to that line, but short of the line. We want to extend them all. We start the extend command; we select the first line, and then we window to select the lines we want to extend. The preview shows them all extending, but some of them do not extend. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this. I was able to get them to extend by selecting top left to bottom right, but a colleague was unable to get the same result.

Some variables:
    Edgemode =1
    Pickadd = 2 (If pickadd is set to 0, it works, but pickadd at 0 is a horrible option)

Not sure what else I should be checking.

Oh, and when I tried this in vanilla AutoCAD, it worked fine.

Thanks!!! Hope someone knows because I am stumped!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Trim and Extend not working as desired

Hi
    I think it's a common problem in 2015. We are experiencing the same problem. And yes there is no rhythm in it.

Login to Give a bone

I have yet to use 2015. Can you use the fence command within Extend or Trim to accomplish this?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

just a thought, in the steps you outline for the extend exercise, you note "we select the first line......select lines we want to extend". I'm certain you just left out the part of "accepting" the trim/extend line you want to use, before selecting the items to be extended. have you tried not selecting the trim/extend line but rather execute the command, and when its time to select the trim/extend line, dont.....just simply right click or hit enter and just move straight to the lines to be extended. of course the lines will extend to the very first object they encounter. I've encountered the issue you mention, but only in the process I just outlilned. seems when you execute the EXTEND command, hitting enter afterwards, and then just hitting enter again and not selecting the trim/extend line, it's a free for all of extending and like I mentioned, the lines you select to extend, having no defined plane to go up to, go to the first line or object they encounter, ............but i have seen my line move intermittently, in small leaps, and a number of leaps until it hits the line I see on the screen. I can only surmise that in extending to a first encountered object, that object may not necessarily be visible on your screen. if there is some other object to the left or right of your extending line, that object makes the extension stop at the plane the object projects across it's path. my point is that because you are actually defining the limits of the extensions by selecting an object, the lines being extended have tunnel vision and only see your defined extension limit. thus should work. I guess I didnt have a fix for you but a work around.