See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with numbering a 56 Sheet Set of drawings, Sheet 1 of 56, Sheet 2 of 56...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help with numbering a 56 Sheet Set of drawings, Sheet 1 of 56, Sheet 2 of 56...

I generally agree with all the discussion here. But, I don't think SSM is the quickest when it comes to renumbering, because it seems to want to take a long time to change a number when the drawing you are renumbering has civil objects in it. (Does SSM actually open each drawing to record the new number? I don't know.) Even if it takes only 5 seconds each, then a 60 sheet set will take five minutes to renumber. Some drawings do take longer, such as cross sections.

So, I have one additional step.

If I have a group of sheets that I know are always going to be grouped together sequentially, I will set the sheet number of the first page in the SSM. I will set the sheet numbers for the rest of the sheets in that group as 2, 3, 4, etc. Then, I will add a field formula to the title block sheet number that adds the first sheet number plus the second sheet number - 1.

For example, if I had a group of plan and profile sheets that are always sequential:

Drawing . . . . . . . . . SSM number . . . . . . . . Title Block Sheet Number Field
    Title . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 = SSM Current Number
    Index . . . . . . . . . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 = SSM Current Number
    Plan 10+00 . . . . . . . 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 = SSM Current Number
    Plan 15+00 . . . . . . . . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 = Plan 10 SSM Number + SSM Current Number -1 = 3 + 2 - 1
    Plan 20+00 . . . . . . . . . . 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 = Plan 10 SSM Number + SSM Current Number -1
    Plan 25+00 . . . . . . . . . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 = Plan 10 SSM Number + SSM Current Number -1
    Detail Sheet 1 . . . . . . 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 = SSM Current Number
    Detail Sheet 2 . . . . . . 8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 = SSM Current Number
    Cross Section 1 . . . . . 9 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 = SSM Current Number
    Cross Section 2 . . . . . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 = Cross Section 1 SSM Number + SSM Current Number -1 = 9 + 2 - 1
    Cross Section 3 . . . . . . . 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11 = Cross Section 1 SSM Number + SSM Current Number -1

Using this method, if I add a sheet, I limit the number of SSM numbers I have to revise. Useful when I have tens of plan sheets or cross sections sheets.

For the total number of sheets in my title block, I'll use the formula above to get the sheet number of the last sheet, so I don't even need to change this in the event of adding a sheet.

Hope this makes since.
    Last edited by WScottAllenPE; 2015-04-29 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Made table easier to read

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help with numbering a 56 Sheet Set of drawings, Sheet 1 of 56, Sheet 2 of 56...

Quote Originally Posted by morgansiegel View Post
    Depending on your file naming this can be accomplished with relatively simple diesel expressions. I've used them quite successfully in sheet numbering as well as matchlines (iterating for previous and next sheets accordingly).
    Diesel expressions won't supply the total sheet count of course, but they operate completely independent of SSM and are closer to "automatic".

Below are some sample expressions for matchline text (3 digit numbers, and 7 charachter file names [without extension]):

Decreasing number (previous sheet):
    Code:
    $(substr,$(getvar,DWGNAME),3,2)$(-,$(SUBSTR,$(GETVAR,"DWGNAME"),5,3),1)
    Increasing number (next sheet):
    Code:
    $(substr,$(getvar,DWGNAME),3,2)$(+,$(SUBSTR,$(GETVAR,"DWGNAME"),5,3),1)
    Using DWGNAME wouldn't work here, and the file naming convention doesn't include the actual drawing number(s), and some drawings are multi-layout depending on who works on a project.

Instead, if using SSM, and regardless of file name or how many layouts, simply point your field for the decreasing/increasing matchline value to Sheet Set, Sheet Set, select your sheet set (if multiple are open), expand to the appropriate Subset, and select the appropriate sheet, specifying SheetNumber... This will bind the field to that SSM Sheet's Object (GUID-specific), and will remain correctly referenced even after renaming/renumbering said SSM Sheet when Sheets are added/removed from the parent Sheet Set.

Quote Originally Posted by morgansiegel View Post
    As for the original question, BlackBox pretty much nailed the answer and MMccall.83699's comment about adding a custom property to hold the total sheet count is something I do as well.
    I'll second joshc96's praise for JTBWorld's SSMPropEditor; if you use it more than once, it's paid for itself.

For my rant, I'll simply wish to see SSM act more like a real database at some point in the future. Enough so that you can setup placeholders and call their values from within the sheet set rather than concatenate fields in the drawings. It could be akin to referencing cells within an Excel spreadsheet (I realize Excel is not a "real database" but the dynamic updating it offers would be welcome in my CAD files any day). Seems doable.
    *Tips hat* - I do this as well ('Total' SheetSet Custom Property).

SSM could use several enhancements, and should support punctuation, etc. in Subset/Sheet naming, among many, many other things. Grrr

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

It would be nice if there was field or an expression one could enter into the SSM as te sheet number that would number it as it appeared in the list by adding 1 to the prior, above, sheet number. Renumbering would be just amatter of choosing a new starting number, inserting or removing a sheet, and/or dragging sheets to a new order.

Just an fyi to anyone who has a need, I understand that layout tabs need to be unique names and those name get passed to the SSM when the sheet is added. However, once they're in the SSM their name in the SSM can be renamed to be identical as long as they have a unique sheet number. I use this for multiple sheets that get the same title, like Detail sheets and such.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Using DWGNAME wouldn't work here, and the file naming convention doesn't include the actual drawing number(s), and some drawings are multi-layout depending on who works on a project.

Instead, if using SSM, and regardless of file name or how many layouts, simply point your field for the decreasing/increasing matchline value to Sheet Set, Sheet Set, select your sheet set (if multiple are open), expand to the appropriate Subset, and select the appropriate sheet, specifying SheetNumber... This will bind the field to that SSM Sheet's Object (GUID-specific), and will remain correctly referenced even after renaming/renumbering said SSM Sheet when Sheets are added/removed from the parent Sheet Set.
    Agree on the GUID specific fields, I've used this method as well. Although, as described here, it would be tedious work per each matchline instance. Be better off using the CurrentSheetNumber within a field formula to iterate the number up or down for next/previous sheet numbers. If however you're referencing a non-consecutive sheet, your description is certainly the best method I'm aware of.

Disagree that DWGNAME won't work in this case. If the files are named C-101.dwg through C-156.dwg a diesel code can simply isolate selected characters of the dwgname. Unfortunately, there's not enough info to determine the actual file names but it seems a safe enough assumption. That said, the codes provided were just samples. I fully expected they'd need modification to suit individual needs. For instance, swapping DWGNAME to CTAB will accommodate multi-layout workflows.

Personally, I subscribe to a mentality of "1 file = 1 sheet/drawing" even if only for the sake of data protection (there are many other reasons beyond). Corruption happens; I'd much rather lose 1 sheet than 2, let alone 10+ strewn across layout tabs. Layouts definitely have their place, but aside from the mysterious file bloat they seem to cause, putting too many eggs in one basket is never a good idea.

My employer uses a separate document management system that until recently did not play well with SSM and it's still buggy but it's useable. Needless to say, when SSM wasn't working for me it was nice to have another tool in the arsenal. Diesel codes not only allow for dynamic/semi-automatic numbering without SSM or any other external file, the fields can even be placed in model space of a reference and continue to work as expected. SSM cannot do this unless you go GUID specific, and that's only marginally better than static text.

None of the options are truly "automatic"; they all require manual edits to source data, whether that be properties within the SSM file, renaming DWGs or layouts, etc. Nor are there many options short of custom programming to autonomously retrofit an existing set of plans with such info. Being mindful of this upon file/project setup allows you to configure the balance that works best for your situation.

I can empathize with this scenario since I often inherit files that have been developed far beyond setup stage and inevitably require these types of edits to make them compliant.

If file naming is truly a consecutive series in C-1##.dwg format as mentioned above, I'd would add a single mtext object consisting of 2 pieces of info directly into to the title block (further assuming it's a reference):

1. A diesel coded field as shown below...followed by
    2. The total sheet count as static text, prefixed with the word "OF" ("OF 56" in this scenario)
    Code:
    $(IF,$(<=,$(substr,$(getvar,"DWGNAME"),$(-,$(strlen,$(getvar,"DWGNAME")),5),2),9),$(substr,$(getvar,"DWGNAME"),$(-,$(strlen,$(getvar,"DWGNAME")),4),1),$(substr,$(getvar,"DWGNAME"),$(-,$(strlen,$(getvar,"DWGNAME")),5),2))
    If my assumptions are correct, that simple edit would suffice for the entire set of plans with room to expand to more sheets. No SSM required and you wouldn't even need to open the sheet files.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by LoonyHat View Post
    Agree on the GUID specific fields, I've used this method as well. Although, as described here, it would be tedious work per each matchline instance. Be better off using the CurrentSheetNumber within a field formula to iterate the number up or down for next/previous sheet numbers. If however you're referencing a non-consecutive sheet, your description is certainly the best method I'm aware of.

Disagree that DWGNAME won't work in this case. If the files are named C-101.dwg through C-156.dwg a diesel code can simply isolate selected characters of the dwgname. Unfortunately, there's not enough info to determine the actual file names but it seems a safe enough assumption. That said, the codes provided were just samples. I fully expected they'd need modification to suit individual needs. For instance, swapping DWGNAME to CTAB will accommodate multi-layout workflows.

Personally, I subscribe to a mentality of "1 file = 1 sheet/drawing" even if only for the sake of data protection (there are many other reasons beyond). Corruption happens; I'd much rather lose 1 sheet than 2, let alone 10+ strewn across layout tabs. Layouts definitely have their place, but aside from the mysterious file bloat they seem to cause, putting too many eggs in one basket is never a good idea.

My employer uses a separate document management system that until recently did not play well with SSM and it's still buggy but it's useable. Needless to say, when SSM wasn't working for me it was nice to have another tool in the arsenal. Diesel codes not only allow for dynamic/semi-automatic numbering without SSM or any other external file, the fields can even be placed in model space of a reference and continue to work as expected. SSM cannot do this unless you go GUID specific, and that's only marginally better than static text.

None of the options are truly "automatic"; they all require manual edits to source data, whether that be properties within the SSM file, renaming DWGs or layouts, etc. Nor are there many options short of custom programming to autonomously retrofit an existing set of plans with such info. Being mindful of this upon file/project setup allows you to configure the balance that works best for your situation.

I can empathize with this scenario since I often inherit files that have been developed far beyond setup stage and inevitably require these types of edits to make them compliant.

If file naming is truly a consecutive series in C-1##.dwg format as mentioned above, I'd would add a single mtext object consisting of 2 pieces of info directly into to the title block (further assuming it's a reference):

1. A diesel coded field as shown below...followed by
    2. The total sheet count as static text, prefixed with the word "OF" ("OF 56" in this scenario)
    Code:
    $(IF,$(<=,$(substr,$(getvar,"DWGNAME"),$(-,$(strlen,$(getvar,"DWGNAME")),5),2),9),$(substr,$(getvar,"DWGNAME"),$(-,$(strlen,$(getvar,"DWGNAME")),4),1),$(substr,$(getvar,"DWGNAME"),$(-,$(strlen,$(getvar,"DWGNAME")),5),2))
    If my assumptions are correct, that simple edit would suffice for the entire set of plans with room to expand to more sheets. No SSM required and you wouldn't even need to open the sheet files.
    I'm not arguing against the use of Diesel (it's just more limited than SSM, IMHO), nor adding dependency on DWGNAME - I clearly stated it would not work here - others should do what works best for them.

You assume a file, and layout naming convention that may only exist in your office, whereas mapping to SSM Sheet(s) will work regardless of file, layout, and even SSM naming/numbering, and provides one, single, consistent method, rather than a mixed bag of Diesel for when labeling for adjacent sheets, and SSM for when it does not (or having to modify the expression's increment accordingly per-reference).

Also, SSM is inherently GUID-specific by design... Map any sheet reference (as I described above), and check the FieldCode.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MMccall.83699 View Post
    My implementation of SSM is very much like BlackBox describes and its been working well for me for the past 10 yrs.
    Ditto. Except we use the renumbering tool from the Sincpac guys.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Ditto. Except we use the renumbering tool from the Sincpac guys.
    1+... And you saved me from having to make a shameless plug, as Jeff was kind enough to offer me access to SincPac source-code (under NDA, of course).

2015-04-30_16-32-26.png

I only regret that my new-ish job has kept me much more busy than even I anticipated... Don't get me wrong, I'd be bored without a challenge, so I enjoy wearing both the CAD, IT, and Operations 'hats', but 55-75 hours a week for the past 1.5 yr is killing me, frankly. I've tried to get them to hire on another designer, to no avail; the bonuses are great, but I'd like to have some balance.

The captivating Mrs. BlackBox and I have already started hunting for a house in Houston, TX (and finding WAY more house for the $, compared to what ours is worth here; as in legitimately another entire floor of house, more); just need to sell our current house, find new jobs, you know, the lil' things. Haha *Tips hat*

[Edit] - Thought it might be prudent to add, that we were starting to plan this move to TX +/- 1.5 yr ago, before this job landed in my lap, which is why we stayed. Since then her job's been doing very well also, but this isn't where we want to start our family; so, we're pretty excited to make the move.

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2015-04-30 at 08:35 PM.

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox
    ..... in Houston, TX (and finding WAY more house for the $, compared to what ours is worth here
    Overall, it's the least expensive place to live in the US, and the best job market right now.
    Someone prove me wrong.

Yes, you have to put up with the [95°/95% humidity] days from May until October, but that's why everything here is air conditioned.

Login to Give a bone

Overall, it's the least expensive place to live in the US, and the best job market right now.
    Someone prove me wrong.
    Perhaps someone can prove you right... I can start working remotely with +/- 2 week's notice.

Yes, you have to put up with the [95°/95% humidity] days from May until October, but that's why everything here is air conditioned.
    We live in Florida now, about 3-4 hours South of your Lattitude; we're already accustom to humidity, it's the chilly weather ya'll have up North that we'll need to get used to! Haha

2015-04-30_16-46-49.png

/OffTOpic

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

You must be talking about these few green days....

weather2.png

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast