Thread: Renaming of Copied Frame Generator Parts

Login to Give a bone

Default Renaming of Copied Frame Generator Parts

Hello, I am having a problem with file name listing for parts in an assembly that had been copied and contains Frame Generator parts. The original assembly created with Frame Generator contained reused parts which then created folder type nodes within the browser where all instances of the like part were retained. I then used Copy Design within Vault, changing all the components' names. In the new assembly's model browser, the components retained the names from the old assembly even though the correct ones showed up in the Vault browser.

By using the "Rename Browser Nodes" command under the "Productivity" area of the "Assemble" ribbon, I was able to get the individual components' file names to update so they now read correctly. However, the "Folder" name, under which the individual parts reside, did not update. The folder should be named the same as parts, but now is not and I cannot figure out how to change that "Folder" name as it has no rename function.

I saw that there was a "Wish List" item that asks for this issue to be fixed which included a comment on what a pain it was to work around the problem. Unfortunately it did not say how to work around the problem. I would very much appreciate any info on this matter.

See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Renaming of Copied Frame Generator Parts

The names of those folders shown in your screenshot, Relationships, Representations and Origin, are hard-coded and cannot be renamed, unless you want to access the API. Why do you need to rename them? Are there other folders not listed or are you referring to something else here, not an actual folder?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Renaming of Copied Frame Generator Parts

Sorry, called away, back again. I am referring to something other than the regular folders, and I'm not sure what the correct terminology is for them. When I "Reuse" a member in frame generator, it is not placed in the frame assembly as an individual sub component in the browser. Inventor groups it together with like components in a folder like structure with the "Folder" named the same as the component parts. When I use Copy Design and rename the individual components, the instances of the components in the browser change their names, but the "Folder" name, in which those components are grouped, does not change. It remains with the component name from before the Copy Design. In the case of the attached image, the components had their names updated to include "TCP5L" whereas the "Folder" name still reads "TCP3L" Granted that the BOM reads correctly and when parts are selected their properties are correct, it would be less confusing if the browser listings were correct.