Thread: Selecting and Removing a Range of Text Values in a String

Login to Give a bone

Default Selecting and Removing a Range of Text Values in a String

Hi

I have imported beams with labels from an external FE analysis programme (SCIA Engineer). The beam labels are in a standard text format (i.e. not Mtext) and include the beam number and the beam size. I do not want the labels to include the beam number as it makes the text too long. The Beam numbers range from B1 to B274 and prefix the beam size (e.g. "B105 UKB254 146 31"). I have successfully exported all the text from the drawing file using DATAEXTRACTION to an excel file and have updated the text as I want it in the "Value" column but do not know how to re import the text file back into AutoCAD. I have also tried using qselect and filters to select the individual text but have only been able to select all text within each string. Any assistance would be most welcom.

Alex E

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Selecting and Removing a Range of Text Values in a String

Quote Originally Posted by alexewart521206 View Post
    Hi

I have imported beams with labels from an external FE analysis programme (SCIA Engineer). The beam labels are in a standard text format (i.e. not Mtext) and include the beam number and the beam size. I do not want the labels to include the beam number as it makes the text too long. The Beam numbers range from B1 to B274 and prefix the beam size (e.g. "B105 UKB254 146 31"). I have successfully exported all the text from the drawing file using DATAEXTRACTION to an excel file and have updated the text as I want it in the "Value" column but do not know how to re import the text file back into AutoCAD. I have also tried using qselect and filters to select the individual text but have only been able to select all text within each string. Any assistance would be most welcom.

Alex E
    I don't know about the whole data extraction thing, but if you just want to edit the text labels in the drawing, you can do this with the "find and replace" command using wildcards.
    I just tested it, and assuming you just want to get rid of "BXXX" and the "UK... " is constant, you can change them all in one foul swoop.

My test was just a bunch of text and numbers that was similar to your posted format.
    HTH

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Selecting and Removing a Range of Text Values in a String

Thanks Ted

Yes I thought there would be a simple solution!!

Alex E