Thread: Masking in a nested family

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Masking in a nested family

I have a fire damper family that is modeled, but shows up symbolically in plan view. I designed the "FD" box symbol as a nested family that is tied to a left/right parameter so that I can toggle them on/off depending on whow the damper is located in plan. My issue is that the "FD" box often overlaps a wall and thus is hard to read. I was hoping that by setting up a masking region in the nested family, I can mask the wall that is under the "FD" box. However, when I load the nested family into the damper family, it is masked, but it does not mask when I load the damper family into the model.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the damper family.
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Masking in a nested family

Bump, bump... nudge, nudge.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Rob,
    not seeing what the problem is. When I place the component the annotation seems to mask the wall cut pattern. Can you post a screen shot?
    That said, if memory serves, a masking region will only work in the 'parent' family not in a nested family.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Dmitri,
    I have attached three screen shots.

#1 is of the nested "symbol box" that contains the masking element.

#2 is the parent family. You can see the outline off the masking border.

#3 shows the fire damper family in plan, but no masking.

#1 1.jpg

#2 2.jpg

#3 3.jpg

I then went and removed the masking element from the nested family (symbol box) and added it to the parent family in the correct position with no luck. Is there some setting that I am missing in regard to the linked model?

I appreciate the help!

Rob

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ahh! The wall is from a linked model? Not sure if that's the issue but it's not what I tested against on my end.
    I noticed that the label for the nested family is set to 'transparent'. Have you tried setting it to 'opaque'?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

That was my initial attempt, but the "opaque box" around the text was too large and thus it cut into some of the surrounding "symbol box". However, that does seem like the best course of action, so I went back and shrunk the text size a hair so that the "opaque box" shrunk as well. Now it looks good.

Thanks for you help and suggestions!!!

Rob

Login to Give a bone

Hi Rob/Dimitri,

We've run into this as well. The masking regions in nested Generic Annotations or Detail Items were only effective for masking architectural linked elements (in our case drywall ceiling patterns) when the view discipline was set to either "Architectural" or "Coordination". I realize this wouldn't be an acceptable solution in Rob's case, but wanted to pass the info on. In our case the Architect wanted our ceiling mounted light fixtures to mask the ceiling patterns when our electrical model was linked into theirs.

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy B View Post
    Hi Rob/Dimitri,

We've run into this as well. The masking regions in nested Generic Annotations or Detail Items were only effective for masking architectural linked elements (in our case drywall ceiling patterns) when the view discipline was set to either "Architectural" or "Coordination". I realize this wouldn't be an acceptable solution in Rob's case, but wanted to pass the info on. In our case the Architect wanted our ceiling mounted light fixtures to mask the ceiling patterns when our electrical model was linked into theirs.

Thanks,
    Hello from the future! This post just saved me from going insane... How is this not fixed even in Revit 2019??