Thread: Extract a User Specified contour elevation from a surface

Wish List Administration

Default Extract a User Specified contour elevation from a surface

Summary: I would like a tool that allows us to specify a specific elevation and would then generate and extract that contour from a surface.

Description: Several times I've needed to extract a very odd elevation from a surface to show in the plans, such as where a FEMA flood line, or top of water elevation sits on a surface. I've had to change the contour interval and go in and extract the elevation at say the closest 0.05 (as smaller intervals are generally too cumbersome to display).

It would be easier to have a tool that lets me just input the elevation I need and then it can generate the contour line from the surface. Perhaps it could even add some tools to help weed/add curves to the resulting polyline.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Civil 3D - Surface Modeling

Submitted By: Adam Reilly on 06/01/2015

Default Re: Extract a User Specified contour elevation from a surface

You can do that now.

Surface Properties > Analysis tab > Add Contour Analysis.
    Say you want the 95.0' contour.
    Add a single range of 94.99 to 95.01
    Turn on User Contours in the surface style (and maybe change the color so it will stand out)
    After the contour(s) are displayed, run the command "_AeccSurfaceExtractObjects", uncheck everything except User Contours.
    The 95.0' contour is (or contour lines are) now polyline(s).
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    You can do that now.

Surface Properties > Analysis tab > Add Contour Analysis.
    Say you want the 95.0' contour.
    Add a single range of 94.99 to 95.01
    Turn on User Contours in the surface style (and maybe change the color so it will stand out)
    After the contour(s) are displayed, run the command "_AeccSurfaceExtractObjects", uncheck everything except User Contours.
    The 95.0' contour is (or contour lines are) now polyline(s).
    In that same tab, there is an option for the Analysis Type for User-defined contours. Add the appropriate number of ranges and click the Run Analysis button. If the elevations listed are not correct, edit the elevations as needed.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    In that same tab, there is an option for the Analysis Type for User-defined contours. Add the appropriate number of ranges and click the Run Analysis button. If the elevations listed are not correct, edit the elevations as needed.
    Even better. Thanks, learned something myself today!
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Extract a User Specified contour elevation from a surface

Extract a User Specified contour elevation from a surface

Summary: I would like a tool that allows us to specify a specific elevation and would then generate and extract that contour from a surface.

Description: Several times I've needed to extract a very odd elevation from a surface to show in the plans, such as where a FEMA flood line, or top of water elevation sits on a surface. I've had to change the contour interval and go in and extract the elevation at say the closest 0.05 (as smaller intervals are generally too cumbersome to display).

It would be easier to have a tool that lets me just input the elevation I need and then it can generate the contour line from the surface. Perhaps it could even add some tools to help weed/add curves to the resulting polyline.

Wish List Administration

Wish List Administration

Wish List Administration