Thread: Buying new PC for Revit 2016, suggest hardware. Current ones are too slow.

Login to Give a bone

Default Buying new PC for Revit 2016, suggest hardware. Current ones are too slow.

Hello, I have Revit 2016 and all my employee use it on the office laptops.

Their specs are
    Intel 4th Gen i7, 2.00 GHz upto 3.1 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    5400 RPM 1 TB Hard Disk
    Nvidia 840M 2 GB Graphics
    Windows 8.1 Single Language (I reinstalled Windows to remove all the bundle stuff that came with the laptop to get more speed but that didn't affect it much.)

That's about it. Now my people kept working on their projects and the file size went on increasing upto a point where it reached 300 MB.
    And now the 300 MB files lags like hell. In the 3D model I get around 10 FPS while moving it.

Rendering the file takes entire nights. That too I need to keep it on render on 2 laptops because usually one fails. It can fail on any laptop.

So I need a new desktop PC which will render fast and won't lag, any suggestions?

This page has the recommended requirements but is it going to be enough? I don't want to end up changing my PC in an year.

I will increase my budget as much of a good PC you tell me for Revit, just not a overkill.

Offtopic: Would CFD analysis need an even better PC? I need to start CFD in an month or so.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Buying new PC for Revit 2016, suggest hardware. Current ones are too slow.

Your Limited on your ram is my guess.
    We run all our revit laptops and workstations with 32GB of Ram.
    Many file sizes upwards of 500mb. Close to 2gb if you were to include the size of the linked files.
    I'm working on a model (rather smoothly) that's only 30mb on it's own, but has a 4.5GB point cloud, and 2GB of revit models linked in.
    Seems to run ok.
    Rendering inside Revit takes forever. I'd look at Lumion or using the Adesk cloud.
    We've got a similar set up for our Lumion workstation but we spared no expense on the video card.
    Rendering with a 2.0 processor isn't going to go well for you. We've overclocked ours to the maximum stable point.
    However my new Box (which I still haven't seen yet) outperforms my current one based on a benchmark test.
    One thing to keep in mind, Revit doesn't use your video card for rendering stills. It's all processor and Ram. It's not a ton to cashe.
    CFD would need more ram than what you're running in my opinion.
    Hope this helps.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Buying new PC for Revit 2016, suggest hardware. Current ones are too slow.

8GB RAM on a 64-bit system? 5400 RPM platter drive? Ouch. More, more, more...

Laptops are built for portability and battery life, both of which works against rendering. You definitely want a desktop for that task if you aren't using the cloud option and it'll be cheaper than an equivalent laptop to boot. Based on current capabilities you'll want something with a decent (but not absurd) number of cores and as much RAM as it will handle. A decent video card will help with navigation but not rendering (it's all in the CPU). Good sized solid state drive for OS and a high-speed SATA 3 for data (several with RAID if you really need the access speed). Get good-enough on every component, not bleeding edge on one and bargain on the rest. That should last you a good 3-4 years.

Hardware is only part of the equation when rendering. Don't forget to optimize for this ie. don't go overboard on materials, don't render an entire building that you won't see from inside a single room, and so on. And, of course, high quality renders will take some time to create. No amount of hardware or optimization will drastically shrink that.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lolcocks123702535 View Post

Their specs are
    Intel 4th Gen i7, 2.00 GHz upto 3.1 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    5400 RPM 1 TB Hard Disk
    Nvidia 840M 2 GB Graphics
    Windows 8.1 Single Language (I reinstalled Windows to remove all the bundle stuff that came with the laptop to get more speed but that didn't affect it much.)

That's about it. Now my people kept working on their projects and the file size went on increasing upto a point where it reached 300 MB.
    And now the 300 MB files lags like hell. In the 3D model I get around 10 FPS while moving it.

Rendering the file takes entire nights. That too I need to keep it on render on 2 laptops because usually one fails. It can fail on any laptop.

So I need a new desktop PC which will render fast and won't lag, any suggestions?

This page has the recommended requirements but is it going to be enough? I don't want to end up changing my PC in an year.

I will increase my budget as much of a good PC you tell me for Revit, just not a overkill.

Offtopic: Would CFD analysis need an even better PC? I need to start CFD in an month or so.

Hi, I'm also looking to get a desktop PC to run Revit. Can anyone help - would the spec below be ok?

Intel H81/Z97 Chipset
    CPU: NEW! Intel Core i7 4790K (A407)
    CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa (B101)
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit) (F104)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2H (E301)
    Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz (2x8GB) (C104)
    Hard Drive: NEW! Kingston 240GB SSD (G405)
    Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA (H101)
    Graphics card: NEW! NVIDIA Quadro K620 2GB (D401)
    Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio (Q302)
    Internet: Wireless 802.11N 150Mbps MIMO PCI-E card (J203)
    PSU: 500W PSU (K601)

All AUGI, all the time BomberAIA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I bought a Boxx workstation. Designed just for Revit. Super fast. Bought it with one SSD drive, added a second one and large drive for backup.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lolcocks123702535 View Post

A user tried to use CFD analysis on a Precision 4800, but it took several days to complete. Granted the 4800 is not a workstation powerhorse.