See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Stacked Wall Wrapping?!

Login to Give a bone

Default Stacked Wall Wrapping?!

I've been told by our CAD support that you cannot wrap external openings when using the "wall opening" tool within a stacked wall?! If this is true, I can't believe that Autodesk have over looked this fundamental feature!

I have attached an image to illustrate the scenario I have. I have created a stacked wall with foundation, subwall, masonry wall and timber frame wall above.

The attached image is at foundation/substructure level.

An opening has been added at this level but I want to show the external wall at substructure closed off or "wrapped".

I've gone into all the individual walls that make up the stacked wall and turned on "wrapping at ends external" to no success.

Can this even be done? Or is there a work around for this? I can't believe that Autodesk hasn't even allowed for these capabilities, it should be a simple request

Many thanks,

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stacked Wall Wrapping?!

Welcome to the forums - I am not actually seeing the problem you have. Your walls appear to be wrapping just fine at the corners....

Login to Give a bone

Thanks but I don't think you understand what I mean? Do you have a background in Architecture or Construction? Currently the substructure walls are being shown as open at the openings. The cavity is not closed as the openings, this is technically wrong.

I've worked out a work around now. Instead of using the "Wall Opening" tool located next to shaft, dormer etc, you have to create a structural opening family. This will give you the true wrapping effect needed for an opening. I've attached an image to show what I mean. I don't see the use for the wall opening tool, it produces results that aren't structurally or graphically correct.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mdeakin704171 View Post
    Thanks but I don't think you understand what I mean? Do you have a background in Architecture or Construction? Currently the substructure walls are being shown as open at the openings. The cavity is not closed as the openings, this is technically wrong.

I've worked out a work around now. Instead of using the "Wall Opening" tool located next to shaft, dormer etc, you have to create a structural opening family. This will give you the true wrapping effect needed for an opening. I've attached an image to show what I mean. I don't see the use for the wall opening tool, it produces results that aren't structurally or graphically correct.
    Unfortunately the basic opening tools are limited in their application. Even with architectural openings, I often use a "door" family to create an uncased opening because it behaves better with the walls.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for this, is there any way I can show an offset of the foundation line away from the end of closed opening? I would like to show the foundation line offset from the end, the same distance as it is to the sides. At the moment, the foundation line is running straight across the wrapped end if you see what I mean?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Ah yes ok I see what you mean. Yes I am a structural draftsman of many years, but each country shows things differently, we actually do not show the veneer and stud wall in our plans as they are not structural.

I agree with CAtDiva here - an easy workaround would be to use a door family with this "closed off" wrap shown in the plan view, and set a graphic overide on it to be shown or not shown. This will mean that the wrap you are missing will actually be part of the door family, and not the wall, it will only be 2D but...since it should only affect your 2D plans, I doubt this will matter. You could actually nest in some wall elements at the edge of your door opening, but this is starting to get too complex for family creation, and probably more complex than you need.

I modified some openings in a similar way to add PFC around the border of the openings for a special case in a project. Its not really hard to do but is a more advanced subject.

Edit the door opening family.

Draw in the linework in plan view of your door family.
    Go to the properties menu for the family (not the individual elements, its at the top left of the menus) and add a parameter.
    Make it an instance parameter.
    Name it "veneer wrap" (or something logical)
    Classify it under "graphics" and set it to "yes/no"
    Now you should see this property show up in the properties list.

Click on the linework and then click on "visibility" in the properties box once you have those linework elements (you probably need a masking element also) selected.
    assign them to the "veneer wrap" property that you just added (or whatever you called it)

Rename the family (or simply load it over your existing family in the project if you want it to replace all those opening types assuming they are always the same.) I suggest renaming it, and changing the appropriate openings.

You can make this detail more flexible by adding a dimension to it and adding a variable paramater to that also (in a similar way to the linework process). That way you can have a value entered in the properties box to change the distance this linework wraps, for cases with larger veneer walls.

In your project, you now can toggle on/off the detail you added by simply clicking the box in the properties when you have the opening selected.

wrap1.JPG
    wrap2.JPG
    wrap3.JPG
    wrap4.JPG
    Last edited by Craig_L; 2015-07-03 at 02:16 PM.