See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Architectural Side Job Advice

Login to Give a bone

Default Architectural Side Job Advice

Hello,
    I graduated with my associates in drafting almost a year ago and have been with the same MEP firm that I interned with right before graduation. I enjoy my work here but have always liked architecture since my days of drafting in high school with the local tech and I was wanting to start looking into doing house plans as a side job in my spare time. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get started and what requirements I may need to meet to legally sale house plans since I am not an architect? Thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Architectural Side Job Advice

Any advice would be welcome, I live in Oklahoma if that helps with specifying what laws may apply.

Login to Give a bone

Here are a couple thoughts:
    1) Look up local building department regulations to see what size houses/buildings you might be limited to.
    2) Talk to local housing developers ... they might be willing to contract with you for those semi-custom changes to their base house plans for new homes.

Login to Give a bone

the suggestion of talking to local builders is a very good one. They are the group most likely to use your service.

Hire a local attorney to draw up business contracts to minimize your liability, and set up a LLC right away. Talk to the attorney about 'errors and omissions' insurance along with liability insurance.

And under no conditions allow the words 'architect' or 'architecture' or similar sounding derivatives to be used by anyone in relation to any work you perform without an architect's license.

Login to Give a bone

I will definitely look into that, thank both of you very much!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    the suggestion of talking to local builders is a very good one. They are the group most likely to use your service.

Hire a local attorney to draw up business contracts to minimize your liability, and set up a LLC right away. Talk to the attorney about 'errors and omissions' insurance along with liability insurance.

And under no conditions allow the words 'architect' or 'architecture' or similar sounding derivatives to be used by anyone in relation to any work you perform without an architect's license.
    Good call on not calling yourself an architect if you don't have the proper qualifications. Simple go with a name aka "House Drafting Services". YOU DON'T WANT TO SAY YOUR AN ARCHITECT WITHOUT PROPER PAPERS.

Quote Originally Posted by CAtDiva View Post
    Here are a couple thoughts:
    1) Look up local building department regulations to see what size houses/buildings you might be limited to.
    2) Talk to local housing developers ... they might be willing to contract with you for those semi-custom changes to their base house plans for new homes.
    Also, try to get a freelancing job on one of the freelancing websites like Odesk (I think it is another name now), but something like that. You can build your reputation up that way.
    Then you can also, head to as MANY seminars and meetings like AIA in your local chapters to spread your word.

Reputation is the key when it comes to architectural design. Architectural drafters really can't use TV or advertisement to spread word about their business.... it is all what you have done and building TRUSTING relationships with people.