See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Added object data fields to Polyline, but object data is empty or zero

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Added object data fields to Polyline, but object data is empty or zero

Greetings All,

I have a drawing with polylines representing surface area of ponds that were delineated from aerial imagery. The hitch is that this group of polylines actually comes from two different sources. 1.) was imported shape files converted to closed polylines with object data brought along with. 2.) are polylines that I created in the drawing and I want to add object data fields from group 1 into this group of polylines.

I was able to attach object data to the polylines, BUT all of the object data is empty or zero. These are closed polylines, so they have an area, but how do I get the area from the polyline properties into the area field of the object data? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Added object data fields to Polyline, but object data is empty or zero

AFAIk, the quickest way to do that is cut and paste the info. Here's why. for closed plines you create yourself, the AREA is calculated when the pline is created/modified. The Object Data area for plines imported from a .shp was calculate by the GIS system that created the Shape file, and is not a 'live' property of the losed pline.

To test this, list the properties and Object Data of an imported Pline created from your shape file -- the values should agree. Then modify the pline and significantly change the area, and check it again.

OD is static, and won't actually reflect any edits that are made dynamically. Or can be edited separately.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Added object data fields to Polyline, but object data is empty or zero

Ok, I understand what you are saying. I did the copy and paste for all of my polylines not from shape files (Thanks!) Now all of the polylines now have an area in the object data field for area.

My next issue involves labeling the area of these polylines. I used an older blog post from Murph about creating plain text from object data, https://map3d.wordpress.com/2013/02/...m-object-data/ with hopes of labeling all of these polylines in one swoop, but after going through the steps no text.

does anyone have any ideas for this one?

UPDATE!

I figured out my labeling issue. I created Map layers from the two layers that contained my polylines. I then used the workflow from Murph's blog post to create plain text from the object data. Not sure why the workflow didn't work yesterday. The only difference was that I didn't query anything, just created Map layers then added a text style.
    Last edited by tntdraftsol; 2015-07-07 at 03:50 PM. Reason: UPDATE!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tntdraftsol View Post
    Ok, I understand what you are saying. I did the copy and paste for all of my polylines not from shape files (Thanks!) Now all of the polylines now have an area in the object data field for area.

My next issue involves labeling the area of these polylines. I used an older blog post from Murph about creating plain text from object data,

Glad the weblog post over 3 years old was of use to someone. It was orginally written for some one else that requested text for labels over the map annotation blocks that are dynamic and updateable if the OD changes.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    Glad the weblog post over 3 years old was of use to someone. It was orginally written for some one else that requested text for labels over the map annotation blocks that are dynamic and updateable if the OD changes.
    Thank you for the blog post. It's hard to find Map 3d blogs that aren't just generalizations of the software features. I thought yours really dug into the nuts and bolts of the program.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tntdraftsol View Post
    Thank you for the blog post. It's hard to find Map 3d blogs that aren't just generalizations of the software features. I thought yours really dug into the nuts and bolts of the program.
    That's one of the reasons I started it about 10 years ago. I just ran out of ideas to post about for a while.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    That's one of the reasons I started it about 10 years ago. I just ran out of ideas to post about for a while.
    Thank you!
    90% of what I've learned about Map has been from answers you provided on AutoCAD Map 3D forum and your https://map3d.wordpress.com/
    Even if you never make another post there please keep that site up there, you probably don't know how many of us rely on that as a reference.