Thread: .DXF Surface - Stuck in 2D??

Login to Give a bone

Default .DXF Surface - Stuck in 2D??

Hi All,

I am experienced with AutoCAD Map 3D when it comes to 2D maps, however I am really struggling as I have just started into the world of surfaces within Civil 3D.

My Problem:
    I have a ground model grid in RockWorks (if you're unfamiliar with this program, it just creates geological surfaces from borehole data), and I want the format in .DXF format for my client. I have used a feature in RockWorks to export the grid to .DXF format. When I open said .DXF in AutoCAD Civil or TrueView, all I am viewing is a flat, horizontal line.

If I try and change the viewport, the line either dissapears entirely or just remains stationary (it depends on which view I change to). Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong here, my understanding from guides written by other people using the same method was that once exported from RockWorks as a .DXF, it was a simple job of just opening it in Civil or TrueView and you would be able to orbit around viewing the surface in 3D. Am I missing a setting I need to change regarding my view or something? All layers are switched on in the layer panel.

If someone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Many many thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: .DXF Surface - Stuck in 2D??

post the dxf. no-ones going to be able to help until you do (unless by a long short there's a RockWorks guru lurking....)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by t.brindle704739 View Post
    Hi All,

I am experienced with AutoCAD Map 3D when it comes to 2D maps, however I am really struggling as I have just started into the world of surfaces within Civil 3D.

My Problem:
    I have a ground model grid in RockWorks (if you're unfamiliar with this program, it just creates geological surfaces from borehole data), and I want the format in .DXF format for my client. I have used a feature in RockWorks to export the grid to .DXF format. When I open said .DXF in AutoCAD Civil or TrueView, all I am viewing is a flat, horizontal line.

If I try and change the viewport, the line either dissapears entirely or just remains stationary (it depends on which view I change to). Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong here, my understanding from guides written by other people using the same method was that once exported from RockWorks as a .DXF, it was a simple job of just opening it in Civil or TrueView and you would be able to orbit around viewing the surface in 3D. Am I missing a setting I need to change regarding my view or something? All layers are switched on in the layer panel.

If someone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Many many thanks!
    I am definitely no Rockworks expert (didn't know what the program was until this post) and you may have already viewed this video, but I found this video about going from Rockworks to Civil 3D. From what I gathered from the video the .dxf export is only for a Rockworks diagram export to Civil 3d with no intelligence. If you are wanting to export data from RockWorks you will need to export shape files and either use data connect or import those shape files into Civil 3D. Again if you already knew this I apologize for repeating the information.

Login to Give a bone

Mant thanks, that video helped greatly, I have solved my problem now