Thread: Offset curve exception

Login to Give a bone

Default Offset curve exception

Hello,

According to AutoCAD.NET guide, Curve.GetOffsetCurves will offset inside in case of negative values. Now I did the following test:

Draw circle with radius = 2 units, and 2x2 square
    Try to offset inside with distance = 2.5 as follows: var offsetObj = Curve.GetOffsetCurves(-2.5)
    This line has been silently skipped in case of the square (polyine) but raised an exception for the circle!!

Is this a bug in AutoCAD.NET or am I missing something here?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Offset curve exception

What does the Exception.Message in your Try Catch block say?
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

It only says "einvalidinput"

Autodesk does not provide descriptive messages in most of the exceptions

Login to Give a bone

Looking a bit more closely now....

Quote Originally Posted by thesniper2003eng View Post
    According to AutoCAD.NET guide, Curve.GetOffsetCurves will offset inside in case of negative values. Now I did the following test:

Draw circle with radius = 2 units, and 2x2 square
    Try to offset inside with distance = 2.5 as follows: var offsetObj = Curve.GetOffsetCurves(-2.5)
    This line has been silently skipped in case of the square (polyine) but raised an exception for the circle!!

Is this a bug in AutoCAD.NET or am I missing something here?
    The Exception appears to be raised, as you've supplied an offset distance (double) greater than the source Curves will allow (hence, invalid input) - try supplying a value less than the radius, etc.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I talking about inconsistency here, for circles raise an exception while fail silently in case of closed polylines. Should they behave similarly?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by thesniper2003eng View Post
    I talking about inconsistency here, for circles raise an exception while fail silently in case of closed polylines. Should they behave similarly?
    Should an exception be raised when the GetOffsetCurves() Method is supplied an invalid offsetDist parameter (as double)?

Yes, I believe it should, regardless of the Typed-Object (Class) the Method is being called on... In your example, a Circle, and Polyline, both of which derive from Curve.

Is it an issue that it doesn't raise the exception for Polylines?

No, as now knowing that it doesn't for this, if not other Types, you should test the GetOffsetCurves() Method's result, to validate, or throw an exception as needed - THAT only if you insist on allowing invalid input in your code logic in the first place.

All of this goes away - all of it - if you'd simply test the offsetDist parameter's value (as double) against that Object which you're about to evaluate it against, thereby avoiding the issue entirely. Lemon squeezy.

Cheers

Computer Specs: