Thread: DWGPROPS to be visible in Windows Explorer columns, details at bottom and open/save dialogs ala wind

Wish List Administration

Default DWGPROPS to be visible in Windows Explorer columns, details at bottom and open/save dialogs ala wind

Summary: The use of standard and custom drawing properties using the DWGPROPS command is highly useful, but it does not work with windows explorer like it used to.

I would like to see all my drawing data, in windows explorer without the need for 3rd party software.

Description: The use of standard and custom drawing properties using the DWGPROPS command is highly useful, but it does not work with windows explorer like it used to.

I would like to see all my drawing data, in windows explorer without the need for 3rd party software.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Operating Systems

Submitted By: Daniel Goodrich on 07/21/2015

AUGI Addict

Default Re: DWGPROPS to be visible in Windows Explorer columns, details at bottom and open/save dialogs ala wind

I'm not entirely familiar with the system, but wouldn't that be a Windows implementation, rather than an Autodesk one?

Default Re: DWGPROPS to be visible in Windows Explorer columns, details at bottom and open/save dialogs ala wind

I think you're correct that it would be a windows shell extension, but off the top of my head I can't think of any reason Adesk can't include that in their installation. After all, they stuff 360 and Content Server in, and both of those are Windows abilities.

Yes, so long as the file info is accessible to Shell, this is ultimately an OS level modification as Jimmy's provided for in his app, but I agree that Autodesk should provide OOTB (not to take away from Jimmy, of course).

Here's a related discussion from 2012:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...g-CAD-revision
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

It used to work in windows xp albeit very simple version.

I'm just surprised that even the standard metadata in dwgprops doesn't work at all. I just would expect it to sync with windows standard columns.

I've tried the JTB app. It works perfectly so I know it's possible. Management have said they are not willing to spend money on third party software. They say that for the price AutoCAD is this should be an OOTB feature.

The main issue I'm having is I'm currently creating standards. Everyone names files differently because they want certain details to be available when they're looking for files(client/project/drawn by ect). DWGPROPS metadata should be visible in explorer. As columns it would then be sortable. Ideally it should also be searchable but that might be asking for too much.