See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Wildcard key-in for Find/Replace text in attribute

Login to Give a bone

Question Wildcard key-in for Find/Replace text in attribute

After perusing the forums previously, our company opted to utilize Cad Manager Tools - BatchInDataBase to enable us to do repetitive task to multiple drawings without having to open all the drawings in a folder. The application works very well for simple purposes.

My dilemma is, we have a project that is going to have a Phase 2 and will be duplicating drawings into a new directory. In the title block is an attribute that is the name of the drawing, i.e.: it is unique to a specific support. We would like to edit that attribute and add “_(2)” to the end of that attribute. Without the quotation marks, of course.

I would like to be able to utilize the Attribute Update in CMT-BatchInDatabase, utilizing wildcards, and append the “_(2)” to the attribute. Not replacing text just appending. I do not know what wildcard key-in to utilize to accomplish this task. Having re-perused the forums, I looked into one thread that discussed the requirement for a " after the old reliable * wildcard, to get it to replace text. I have tried every combination, I can think of and I either get no change or with utilizing

find: *
    replace: *_(2)

to the specific attribute tag. I get *_(2) in the title block. I hope there is a simple answer and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wildcard key-in for Find/Replace text in attribute

Best bet will be to contact the author of that program to see if it's possible to do now, or if not, perhaps he can add it as an update

Login to Give a bone

Well, I have not found an easy way, haha, to update the attribute in this folder of drawings. As stated, I just want to append the text "_(2)" to the end of the attribute. Every attempt with wildcards in the "Find" "Replace" option, does that replaces text. Imagine that?!!

Here is an example of what I am hoping to do.

Well, I can't attach a file. Don't know what the problem is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

to repeat...
    Best bet will be to contact the author of that program to see if it's possible to do now, or if not, perhaps he can add it as an update

that's not an Autodesk application, and is not part of AutoCAD. the author does seem to be very responsive though, and frequently posts on the autodesk forums.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

As an alternative, take a look at Lee Mac's Title Block Update Lisp routine. Essentially, you make the changes in a spreadsheet and it updates the title block on open.

http:\\www.lee-mac.com\updatetitleblock.html

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the responses guys. After investigation, and a little frustration of how the update via custom data works in CadManager Tools BatchInDatabase works, I resolved the issue.

But thanks again, and kudos to AUGI forums, I have countless times found info and solutions to CAD issues.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by imacad View Post
    Well, I can't attach a file. Don't know what the problem is.
    I don't have a problem using the Insert Image button in the quick reply box (using Chrome here if that matters), but, I have seen others recommend using the 'Go Advanced' button and using the Attachments button instead.

Wait, you didn't say your file was an image... so you might just have to skip straight to Go Advanced, and either click the Attachments button on the toolbar or scroll down below the composition box for 'additional options' where you can find a 'manage attachments' button.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I... skip straight to Go Advanced, and either click the Attachments button on the toolbar or scroll down below the composition box for 'additional options' where you can find a 'manage attachments' button.
    Which STILL doesn't work for all of us. The people who I have noticed having this problem are all, I believe, outside of North America. This is a problem that keeps recurring.

Login to Give a bone

Well, my overall issue on the attribute edit has been pseudo solved, now to the issue of not being able to insert an image, attachment to my reply on AUGI. I am hobbled to utilizing MS-Internet Explorer on office machine by IT. I believe that may have been the issue. Have not had opportunity to test that theory on machine at home. I have been able to post an attachment in the past, but when I selected Go Advanced and Attachment Manager, I believe, my machine just looked back at me. Oh yeah, I am in North America!

Thanks to all of you for your informative replies.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by imacad View Post
    Well, my overall issue on the attribute edit has been pseudo solved, now to the issue of not being able to insert an image, attachment to my reply on AUGI. I am hobbled to utilizing MS-Internet Explorer on office machine by IT. I believe that may have been the issue. Have not had opportunity to test that theory on machine at home. I have been able to post an attachment in the past, but when I selected Go Advanced and Attachment Manager, I believe, my machine just looked back at me. Oh yeah, I am in North America!

Thanks to all of you for your informative replies.
    Click FAQ from the Forum menu up top → General Forum UsageReading and Posting MessagesAttachments and Images
    may be of help. Uploading attachments from Forum Tips & Tricks may help as well.

The FAQ has improved a great deal over the years.