See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Splice Connection issues

Login to Give a bone

Question Splice Connection issues

I am trying to make a new connection symbol for a splice connection for steel beams. This would be when a beam has a cantilever over a column and would be connected to the next beam with some web plates.

I made a new family using the Connection-Moment-Filled as a starting point and saved that as a new name. I them modified the lines in that family to the representation that I want. I load it into my project and add the new connection type in the Structural Settings Connection Symbols dialog.

I can't seem to get the symbol to be aligned in the center line of a splice location. The issue is when I model the next beam the bounding box (or at least I think the bounding box) of the first beam causes the stick symbol of the one of the beams to be cut back by the distance of the bounding box.

Any suggestions on how to fix this so my symbol is centered on a splice center line? The center line is just a detail line in the view.

Screen capture and family attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Splice Connection issues

I tried your family out here, I'm just not sure what your desired result actually is. Can you link a picture of what you want it to do, vs what it is currently doing.
    If you are saying that your beam stick symbols automatically do an offset, this is actually the beam family, and not your symbol family.
    To alter this you will need to edit the beam family itself. If you change the detail level, you may notice (depending on your beam family) that it doesn't show the same cutback on the more detailed version of the beam. My beam family shows a 125mm gap in the stick figure, but a 15mm gap on the higher detail level of the beam. I can also drag the model element of the beam past the "node" point of the beam allowing me to extend it to be cut or to touch another beam face etc. My families have been modified, the out of the box family is more limited.

I would share mine with you, but they are to australian standard sizes and wont be much use to you.

Login to Give a bone

I had read elsewhere that if I make changes to the model line in the beam family that I might get some better results.

The one problem I always seem to have is locating where the Model Line for the Course level of detail is defined at. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions on how to fix that?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Edit the beam family, open a plan view and type VG and make sure everything is turned on to be visible in all of the tabs you can change.

You should see the model line in plan in the coarse detail level (you should really see all of it)

You can set the visibility level by selecting that line and looking at the ribbons, there is a function there to edit this - try this tutorial

http://bimopedia.com/2013/04/02/sett...evit-families/

Login to Give a bone

Thanks so much!