Thread: SNAP TO TEXT OR MTEXT

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default SNAP TO TEXT OR MTEXT

In autocad 2016 I am trying to snap to the insertion point on a piece of text. When I try to select the letters of the text I get invalid point. Through investigation I have found that if I hover around the outside of the text I can get the snap to work. I believe that this location corresponds with the text boundary frame. If under options I turn on Text boundary frame only and draw a line in its location and then bring back the text, when my crosshairs cross the line I get the insertion point for the text. This happens with both regular text and mtext.

1. Can I change a setting to allow me to be able to select the letters themselves?

2. If not can I change the boundary frame distance to be closer to the text?

Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: SNAP TO TEXT OR MTEXT

Quote Originally Posted by bsaeagle189 View Post
    In autocad 2016 I am trying to snap to the insertion point on a piece of text. When I try to select the letters of the text I get invalid point. Through investigation I have found that if I hover around the outside of the text I can get the snap to work. I believe that this location corresponds with the text boundary frame. If under options I turn on Text boundary frame only and draw a line in its location and then bring back the text, when my crosshairs cross the line I get the insertion point for the text. This happens with both regular text and mtext.

1. Can I change a setting to allow me to be able to select the letters themselves?

2. If not can I change the boundary frame distance to be closer to the text?

Thank you.
    I bet your font is a truetype font............? If so, that's just the way it works.
    Switch to an .SHX based font if you want the INS object snap to work when you hover over the actual geometry that makes up the characters.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

If it is a truetype font (which is almost certain), zooming OUT a little can help (counter-intuitive, I know).

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

When grip editing objects, the grip will actually snap to any other grip when zoomed in close. A snap grip will not appear, but it will snap to the grip point. For example, if I want to snap the end of a line to the middle-center justification point of text, I will draw a line, exit command, select both line and text and move the line grip point to the text justification point when zoomed in enough to make any other snap points disappear.