Thread: creating revit topo from autoCAD file with elevation data contained in editable attribute

Login to Give a bone

Default creating revit topo from autoCAD file with elevation data contained in editable attribute

Hi,

The survey drawings typically coming through my office contain all the elevation data (see image). But it is contained as part of an editable attribute - the z geometry is zero, and therefore, as is, this info is useless to me if I want to build a Revit topo out of it.

Has anyone come across this sort of survey dwg before, where z data is somehow in the drawing (when shown in profile the attributes do vary in elevation) but where that data is unavailable in a form Revit can digest.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: creating revit topo from autoCAD file with elevation data contained in editable attribute

Sounds like you need to have a conversation with the people who provide you with the survey data you get. Fwiw, Revit does not recognize AutoCAD points so if they are relying on those to pass along elevation data that won't work. If they are embedding it in blocks, likewise. Most surveys include contour lines (polylines and/or AEC Proxy elements if generated in Civil 3D). It's been quite awhile since I've seen one that didn't provide them at their actual elevations.

It is possible that your surveyor thinks you want 2D files. I ran across that a couple times, they thought they were doing us a favor. Ideally you want a file with lines/polylines that represent the site contours and are at their actual elevation so Revit can create a toposurface from them.

Alternatively you can ask for a points file that contains three columns (X/Y/Z) of point data. Revit can create a toposurface from that too.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2015-08-11 at 09:56 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: creating revit topo from autoCAD file with elevation data contained in editable attribute

Thanks - I'll look into those scenarios.