Thread: Dimensions between grid line and an intersection of detail lines not showing up

Login to Give a bone

Default Dimensions between grid line and an intersection of detail lines not showing up

So I am trying to dimension from a grid line to an intersection of two detail lines. In floor plan they show up fine, no issue. But in the RCPs I am finding that they don't show up. Is there a setting that I'm missing that allows them to show up? I've played with my view ranges, visibility settings and depth clipping and so far no go.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimensions between grid line and an intersection of detail lines not showing up

Going by your description, I assume this is in Revit? (the forum you posted this question in is "English Forums > CAD Management > CAD Standards")

Please specify/verify exactly what platform you're using and maybe upload a screen shot?

And when you say "in a floor plan they show up fine", what is they? the dimensions or detail lines or both?

If in Revit.. detail lines are view-specific, so if you didn't place them in the view they won't show up.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimensions between grid line and an intersection of detail lines not showing up

Yea sorry about that I was writing that on the fly so left out some things. Yes it is in revit 2015. When i refer to they I mean the dimension in the floor plan views. The detail lines that they tie to on one end were copied from the floor plan view to the corresponding RCP view so they are in the same place and everything. When dimensioning in floor plans from a grid line to the intersection of these detail lines the dimensions show fine but in the RCP they don't show up at all. My start and end points are the same in floor plan view and RCP view. The first image shows the RCP view and where I'm trying to dimension. Image 2 is the exact same place with the successful dimension selected.

Dimensioning Issue 1.jpgDimensioning Issue 2.jpg

Login to Give a bone

Thread moved to the Revit Architecture - General forum, where it is likely to receive more notice by those able to answer.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mtr188297 View Post
    Yea sorry about that I was writing that on the fly so left out some things. Yes it is in revit 2015. When i refer to they I mean the dimension in the floor plan views. The detail lines that they tie to on one end were copied from the floor plan view to the corresponding RCP view so they are in the same place and everything. When dimensioning in floor plans from a grid line to the intersection of these detail lines the dimensions show fine but in the RCP they don't show up at all. My start and end points are the same in floor plan view and RCP view. The first image shows the RCP view and where I'm trying to dimension. Image 2 is the exact same place with the successful dimension selected.

Dimensioning Issue 1.jpgDimensioning Issue 2.jpg
    Hmmm.. I dunno. I don't usually work with RCP's, it appears to have the extension and dimension lines but not the text.. is that what I'm seeing?
    It could be lots of things, like a view template or filter assigned maybe? I assume you checked your viability graphics settings both per view and globally?

Maybe others have better information for you.

Is there any way you could upload a sample revit file with both of these views?
    (You could do a save-as and delete all other and proprietary information)

Login to Give a bone

Is it just the text that's missing?
    Also I'm guessing these were 2 separate independent views.
    Instead of the Detail line are you trying to select the centerpoint (Z axis) line of the column that's shown?
    I guess that's what I would be trying to dimension to.
    The reason I ask is depending on column family in question some of them act weird if you use the "Always Show Cut" check box is unchecked (Or maybe it was if it was checked, I forget).
    Anyway, have you tried just adding a reference plane in the view that works and pinning it to the location you need and then add your dim in your RCP?
    Just a thought.