Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VP Layer ON

Wish List Administration

Default VP Layer ON

Summary: Turn and keep layers ON in VPs

Description: Looking for the ability to "lock" the layer settings (ON/OFF & THAW/FREEZE) in viewports. I want to be able to turn layers OFF in the working Model space but not n the VP. As a civil engineer/designer, I work with many layers whose info/labels overlap. I need to turn layers off which only appear on certain drawings. If I turn a layer OFF in Model space and forget to turn it back ON, it obviously won't plot on my Paperspace layout. This would be similar to VP Freeze "in reverse".

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Layer

Submitted By: Rick Witt on 08/20/2015

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Default Re: VP Layer ON

Viewport overrides only work on viewports and viewport freeze is a separate control in the layer manager that doesn't affect anything other than the viewport.

Clicking ON/OFF & THAW/FREEZE in a viewport has the same effect as it does on the model tab.

Workaround is to simply click the Maximize Viewport button in a viewport.

@Tom Beauford
    I think you've totally missed the point of my wish.
    That is exactly what I'm looking for...a command that controls layers ONLY in that VP.
    I want to turn a layer OFF (or FREEZE it) in the VP, and only that VP, and I want it to stay ON or THAWed in other VPs.
    Maximize VP has no relation to layer control.

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by wittr View Post
    @Tom Beauford
    I think you've totally missed the point of my wish.
    That is exactly what I'm looking for...a command that controls layers ONLY in that VP.
    I want to turn a layer OFF (or FREEZE it) in the VP, and only that VP, and I want it to stay ON or THAWed in other VPs.
    Maximize VP has no relation to layer control.
    I simply pointed out that obviously you cannot have viewport overrides without a viewport. By simply adding a layout with viewport to use instead of the Model tab you can do what you want. Maximize VP allows working in any viewport to feel like working on the Model tab.

As a civil engineering/designer, I VP Freeze layers not needed in each layout. Once layouts have been generated Maximizing a viewport allows me to work with proper layer settings and view rotation. Both of which can be quite different that the Model tab.

Tom-

I'm also a civil engineer & designer. I create layouts with VPs as plotting "windows", each site plan/drawing on a different layout tab. Title block & all other "extra" info in PS and the site design in the MS VP.
    If you have lots of horizontal control info (i.e. dimensions, cords and other "layout plan" notes) turned ON how do you work on the utility or grading design? You don't...you turn the layout notes/dimensions OFF while you work on the rest.
    So...you have to remember to turn every layer back ON that you temporarily turned OFF so they will plot in the layouts. If you don't turn everything back ON, they won't plot.

My wish is to turn [and LOCK] layers ON and OFF in the layout/PS so that if I turn one OFF in the model, it still plots out. I won't have to go back and turn everything ON.
    I want to LOCK the VIEW, so it can only be change from within that view.

-Rick

suggest that you explore the VPMAX and VPMIN commands. That should get you what you need.

Also if you're not using Xrefs and Drefs, it's a good idea to start. Doing design work with grading, alignments, pipes, etc in your sheet files is not the best way to organize things IMO

I don't think anyone is reading and comprehending my wish.

#1 VPMAX and VPMIN do not control layers. They have nothing to do with this request. These commands solve nothing.
    #2 I use XREFS.
    #3 I do NOT work in the model space VP OR in the sheet files. I do my design on the MODEL tab like EVERYONE ELSE.

I just want control to lock layers ON/OFF when on the layout tabs, so a layer STAYS ON when I turn if OFF on the model space.

Certifiable AUGI Addict

I don't think anyone is reading and comprehending my wish.

#1 VPMAX and VPMIN do not control layers. They have nothing to do with this request. These commands solve nothing.
    #2 I use XREFS.
    #3 I do NOT work in the model space VP OR in the sheet files. I do my design on the MODEL tab like EVERYONE ELSE.

I just want control to lock layers ON/OFF when on the layout tabs, so a layer STAYS ON when I turn if OFF on the model space.
    You brought up viewport functionality. Ruling out using that leaves you with other options.
    1. Isolate or Hide Objects
    2. Layer Isolate
    3. Do your design in a separate drawing. Add the other drawing as an overlay so you can set the layers any way you want. Add your design as an overlay to the other drawing.
    4. Create a lisp with a reactor to modify layers whenever you switch to or from the model tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    Viewport overrides only work on viewports and viewport freeze is a separate control in the layer manager that doesn't affect anything other than the viewport.
    I find it hard to believe that the same functionality that can override the VP to turn a layer OFF cannot be used to keep a layer ON.

Certifiable AUGI Addict

I find it hard to believe that the same functionality that can override the VP to turn a layer OFF cannot be used to keep a layer ON.
    OFF/ON and FREEZE/THAW work exactly the same in a viewport as on the Model tab. You can use Viewport Freeze in a Viewport for layers you don't want to display in the Viewport. No Viewport functionality can be used without a Viewport. How is that hard to understand? I'd like an AutoCAD button to update hardcopies, but I wouldn't post that as a wish. You're going to have to look at other ways to accomplish your goals.

I have used the third option posted above often in the past, without using a Viewport it works very well. I also use Layer Styles to control layers and have a number of them set up in my templates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast