Thread: What determines instance parameter grip "snap" and "align" behavior?

Login to Give a bone

Default What determines instance parameter grip "snap" and "align" behavior?

I've noticed that some of my families with instance parameters creating stretch "grips" when the family is loaded, behave differently with regards to stretching the grips and whether that grip will snap align to another object. Also some families when I use the Align tool, will stretch the family as the grip is aligned, while others move the whole family when I align it.

Each different behavior is desirable based on the family. For example a shelf I would like to be able to stretch align the shelf ends, as well as use the Align tool (with my current shelf family, I can use the Align tool, but stretching the grip will not snap it to anything). Other families like a toilet partition should move the whole family when I align it.

What causes the different behavior?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What determines instance parameter grip "snap" and "align" behavior?

The Weak or Strong IsReference setting. The nice names are also Strong. In the end it doesn't matter, using TAB will toggle the behavior if you hover/tab before using Align for example. When the Tooltip reports ...Reference... it will move, when it reports ...Shape Handle... it will stretch.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What determines instance parameter grip "snap" and "align" behavior?

See this.

Steve, the video doesn't work anymore. Have you removed it, or is there something wrong on my end?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If that is hosted at Screencast I may have run over my bandwidth for the month. I need to port all that over to YouTube someday.

Login to Give a bone

I know this is a super-old post but my issue is relevant (I created a new topic specifically for it)

It seems like wall-hosted families' shape handle grips don't align-snap to anything, unfortunately. I'm searching for a workaround.