Thread: Computer lags - what do I need to change in a new

Login to Give a bone

Default Computer lags - what do I need to change in a new

Hi!

I have a problem with my desktop, lagging when changing views in Revit 2016, wanting to edit component, pan, zoom, and so on. My model is 100 MB(going to be 1 GB when finished) and have lots of pointclouds (36 of them, up to 6 GB!). I work in worksets and turning the not needed pointclouds off (they are on the server, but with 1 Gbit/s network, peeks at 800 MB so it shouldn´t be it), but still need up to app 5 pointclouds on in different views.

Desktop: Dell Precision T7610
    Dual Intel Xeon Processor E5-2687W v2 (Eight Core HT, 3.4GHz Turbo, 25 MB)
    32GB (4x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 ECC RDIMM
    512GB 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive
    4 GB NVIDIA Quadro K5000
    Windows 7

What are your opinion, I don´t see any of the hardware peeking, but haven´t checked the graphic?

/Jenny

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Computer lags - what do I need to change in a new

The Point clouds I believe will hit up the graphic card when zooming around, but if you don't have all of them loaded, you should run into that big of a problem.
    What's the average point cloud file? I'm wondering if that's the hitching point.
    How much Ram gets chewed up when you open the model?
    How much space do you have on your local?
    Did this just start happening? I've had that happen before where a model just starts to get super laggy. I re-create the central and that usually seems to fix a lot of those kinds of issues unless is just the amount of data being pushed thru the system.
    Just some thoughts.

Login to Give a bone

The avarage pointcloud is 4 GB, some 6 GB, all more than 1,5 GB. (Totally 163 GB now) I will have some 9 GB...
    Ram peeks at 11,0 GB when opening the model.
    My local disk is 250 GB free, of 512 GB.
    It wasn´t slow some months ago, but then the model was 50 MB and not quite so full of pointclouds. I´ll try to recreate the central. I´ll also try to have the pointclouds locally, to see if it´s the network. But it´s slow already when clicking on a section(4 sec waiting), before "go to view" is selected then another 4 sec...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jenny120797 View Post
    Hi!

I have a problem with my desktop, lagging when changing views in Revit 2016, wanting to edit component, pan, zoom, and so on. My model is 100 MB(going to be 1 GB when finished) and have lots of pointclouds (36 of them, up to 6 GB!). I work in worksets and turning the not needed pointclouds off (they are on the server, but with 1 Gbit/s network, peeks at 800 MB so it shouldn´t be it), but still need up to app 5 pointclouds on in different views.

Desktop: Dell Precision T7610
    Dual Intel Xeon Processor E5-2687W v2 (Eight Core HT, 3.4GHz Turbo, 25 MB)
    32GB (4x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 ECC RDIMM
    512GB 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive
    4 GB NVIDIA Quadro K5000
    Windows 7

What are your opinion, I don´t see any of the hardware peeking, but haven´t checked the graphic?

/Jenny
    Following is the best ever solution to fix lagg. For more contents please read . So let's begin:
    Delete temporary files and directories
    Click Start, then in the search bar type "disk". Disk Cleanup should appear on the menu above the search box.
    Run disk cleanup and eliminate unneeded temporary files (Search results, Internet Cache and other windows temp files you may no longer need)
    Select files you want to delete then click OK to start the cleanup process.
    Uninstall applications you no longer use
    Open the Programs and Features application in Control Panel.
    Scan the list of applications installed for ones that you no longer use.
    Highlight any application you no longer use and the click the uninstall button at the top of the list. Follow the prompts to uninstall.
    Repeat for each application you want to uninstall.
    Move large files and/or seldom used files to backup media (Photos, Music you seldom listen to, application downloads after the application has been installed etc.).
    Empty the Recycle Bin
    Once you delete or move files off you hard drive, next you can defragment your drive to help optimize it's performance.