Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lisps Stop Working

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Lisps Stop Working

Lisps that I have loaded and work...stop working once I open a series of particular templates...can anyone explain to me why this may be occurring.

I thought that the lisp files were all stored within the CUI or the Profile...

So why when a templates opened would a lisp stop working?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Lisps Stop Working

Generally speaking, autolisp code is stored in memory, on a per-drawing basis.
    That is why it's good practice to load lisp code via "acaddoc.lsp" or "<menufile>.mnl" - because those files get loaded each time a new drawing is started or an existing drawing is opened.

Without knowing more about your setup, I can't really speculate on why you're having the problem you're having.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

There could be lots of reasons depending on what their purpose is and what the template is doing. Honestly we'd need to see at least the LISPs and probably the template as well to be able to play with it. These types of problems aren't able to be answered without the proper information, it's like trying to describe a problem to with a car to a mechanic, or a computer problem to an IT professional. They'll always tell you what they think it sounds like, but they always tell you to bring it in cause they can't figure it out over the phone.

I use LISP to do utility drafting so I have commands where I type what I want and it will set everything up (specifically linetype and layer) the way I need to and then run pline command. Mine are set up to create the layer (in case the drawing doesn't already have it) but if you were to use a clayer function and didn't have that layer in the drawing it would error out, same potential with a linetype if it isn't in the template.

Bottom line is if your lisps work in one template, but not another then there is probably some sort of dependent in your LISP that one template has and the other doesn't.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

As rkmcswain said lisp must be loaded in each drawing. By default acad.lsp loads once after startup, while acaddoc.lsp loads with each drawing. I add macros to my CUI to both load the routine as needed, then run the routine. You can autoload in acaddoc.lsp with acet-autoload2 as used for Express Tools in acetauto.lsp which loads routines when you enter the commands on the command line. Both these are handy if you have a hundred routines you want available all the time. Most of us have at least a few routines we load in acaddoc.lsp as well.

Login to Give a bone

If the lisp is loaded in Startup Suite is that the same thing or am I mistaken... shouldn't that load the lisp on the start up of each drawings opening?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mbrandt5 View Post
    If the lisp is loaded in Startup Suite is that the same thing or am I mistaken... shouldn't that load the lisp on the start up of each drawings opening?
    Technically that should work, but I always advise against the startup suite.
    When you reinstall or upgrade you'll forget the 10, 20 or 50 lisp files you had in there and have to load them all up again... over and over each time.
    With "acaddoc.lsp", you do it once and that's it.

I think the "migration tool" is supposed to migrate startup suite contents, but it has it's own share of problems so I avoid that too.

Login to Give a bone

From what I read...acaddoc.lsp is a user customized lisp it shouldn't need to be used...I've loaded the lisps I've been having trouble with via startup suite and they appear unloaded with new templates I open any ideas

Here is a template and one of the many lisps I'm having difficulties with
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mbrandt5 View Post
    From what I read...acaddoc.lsp is a user customized lisp it shouldn't need to be used...
    I don't understand that statement.

"Acaddoc.lsp" is a user defined file that you (the user) can use to autoload lisp code into memory for use in each opened drawing.

Code:
    ;;; Sample Acaddoc.lsp
    (load "VSF")
    ;;; or
    (autoload "VSF" '("VSF"))

Ref: http://www.lee-mac.com/autoloading.html
    Last edited by rkmcswain; 2015-09-23 at 08:56 PM. Reason: add link

Login to Give a bone

The acaddoc.lsp is a user customized lisp. You are the user. Your coworkers are the user, also. This designation only means that the user and not Autodesk creates and maintains this file.

There is no easily automated function to add autolisp files the Startup Suite of multiple seats of autocad. The use of the acaddoc.lsp instead allows the user (or CAD administrator) to autoload designated autolisp files on startup.

To do this, the user must first create an acaddoc.lsp file. This file must be placed in one of the paths assigned to the Support File Search Path. It is recommended that a new folder path is created and added to the Support File Search Path near the top of the list of support paths. The first acaddoc.lsp file found in the Support File Search Path will be the only one loaded into each new file opened.

This user specified support path can be shared with other seats of autocad through a networked path. This network path can be write-protected if desired.

Therefore, the suggestions earlier in this thread recommending the use of acaddoc.lsp is a maintenance issue.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Its a lisp that is altered by the user is all I was saying...Startup Suite always worked in the past for these lisps, and all of a sudden it stopped...

I'm curious why...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast