Thread: Creating a Block with Visibility Settings

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Creating a Block with Visibility Settings

So a while ago I discovered visibility settings within the block editor, and I was really intrigued with it since one of the most apparent uses of it is to effectively turn multiple blocks into one block with a drop down menu. I found the concept great for categorizing like parts that may change from start to finish, and it would be easier/cooler than having to delete and replace the block. In addition I’m a fan of LISPing tedious/repetitive work like utility drafting, inserting blocks, or dimensioning. It’s fairly basic as far as LISP goes/can go, basically just fancy macroing that actually works off of existing CAD commands. The way I've always set up my block insertion LISP routines is as such

Code:
    (defun C:36FES()
        (setq cancel *error*)
        (setq *error* trapblocks)
        (setq oldlayer (getvar "clayer"))
            (command "-LAYER" "MAKE" "UP-ST-STRUCT" "COLOR" "242" "" "")
            (command "-INSERT" "36IN-FES.dwg" PAUSE "1" "1" PAUSE)
        (setvar "clayer" oldlayer)
        (setq *error* temperr)
    If you don't know LISP the two lines to really be concerned about (here) are the two command lines sandwiched between some trapping. All these two lines are doing are working off existing CAD commands to macro bringing in a drawing as a block on the correct layer with the correct color. This basic form of LISP has worked successfully with any simple drawing, but the moment I put in the visibility settings it breaks.

The thing is I always insert a drawing as a block, and this is where I'm struggling. I can't seem to import it into another drawing. I don't think it's an issue with LISP because I can't manually insert the drawing either. When I do I just get an arrow on the correct layer. It's like it doesn't know what to do about the visibility setting so it just breaks the block. I'm pretty sure I could create the block in a template and have it work successfully whenever a drawing starts with that template, but I'm not a fan of that simply because if the drawing isn't using the template (or is an older drawing) you can't use it anymore. I'd rather have it be its own separate drawing that gets inserted via the insert command.

Anyone have any ideas or am I misunderstanding how the block editor's functionality works in drawings outside of where the block was created/edited? I feel like this should be doable.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a Block with Visibility Settings

If I'm understanding what you're after, create your dynamic block in a drawing, and WBLOCK them out to files, using the Block option in the WriteBlock dialog.

Login to Give a bone

Does it need to be dynamic? I found some information about dynamic blocks awhile ago, which is actually how I discovered visibility settings. The way I understand (or at least saw dynamic applied) was by creating stretch settings in order to allow the user to scale the block based on the needs of the drawing. IE: Dynamic.

Is there a some step with visibility settings that I'm missing? Otherwise this sounds like what I originally did. The first thing I did was throw all the blocks into their own drawing, used the wblock command, and then went into block editor in that file, and added the visibility settings. I even tried exploding all the blocks down to just lines to see if that was affecting it.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

uhm, the existence of visibility settings depends on the block being a dynamic block. otherwise it's just a block/drawing.

Try importing the block from your souce drawing using ADC. What happens?

Login to Give a bone

Ah, so if I understand correctly adding visibility settings to a block causes the block to be considered dynamic? Sorry, I've created a fair share of blocks, but never done more than just creating objects, and saving it in a file so I'm new to the terminology.

I did actually try the ADC tool the other week too, and all I got a simple arrow (ie: 2 connected lines). The block looks nothing like that and I also don't ever get the actual visibility controls when importing the file to another drawing. My best guess on that result is that it doesn't seem to know how to reference the block.

Login to Give a bone

time to post what you're talking about, let the DB Gurus look at it and help out.

I'll suggest posting the block in the dynamic Block Technical section.

Login to Give a bone

Sounds good, didn't realize I should have started there.

Thanks for the advice.