Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible viewports...no lines...no grips

Login to Give a bone

Default Invisible viewports...no lines...no grips

I have have a drawing with several layouts, not sure where it came from, but not from our office (we are using AutoCAD 2007). I need to manipulate some of the viewports, but can't seem to find them! In layout, I can see what is in the viewport, but not the viewport itself. With all layers on and thawed there is no viewport "border" to be seen or highlighted. I can make a viewport active and see how it is bounded, but in paperspace there is nothing. I have tried changing the color of layers with a color that might be hard to see, nothing. I'm stumped...anyone ever run into anything like this? Thanks for any suggestions...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Invisible viewports...no lines...no grips

Quote Originally Posted by gadjet
    I have have a drawing with several layouts, not sure where it came from, but not from our office (we are using AutoCAD 2007). I need to manipulate some of the viewports, but can't seem to find them! In layout, I can see what is in the viewport, but not the viewport itself. With all layers on and thawed there is no viewport "border" to be seen or highlighted. I can make a viewport active and see how it is bounded, but in paperspace there is nothing. I have tried changing the color of layers with a color that might be hard to see, nothing. I'm stumped...anyone ever run into anything like this? Thanks for any suggestions...
    Hi,

They may have their invisibility property set. I've run into this before. Try loading and running this:

Code:
    (defun c:showvps (/ ss obj)
    (vl-load-com)
     (setq ss (ssget "X" '((0 . "VIEWPORT")(60 . 1))))
     (if ss
       (progn
         (repeat (setq cnt (sslength ss))
           (setq obj (vlax-ename->vla-object (ssname ss (setq cnt (1- cnt)))))
           (vla-put-Visible obj acTrue)
         )
       )
       (princ "\nNo Invisible Viewports")
     )
     (princ)
    )
    to see if it fixes it. Let us know if you need help loading and running it.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Well it turns out that in layout, with no viewport active, the viewport layer was frozen in "current viewport"! With that setting is thawed I can see the viewports, but I still don't understand what is going on. That setting generally has no effect in layout, or so I thought...
    I was starting to write this when I saw your reply, Tim. Thanks for helping, can you tell me about invisiblity properties? "Never heard of them before!

Login to Give a bone

Well it turns out that in layout, with no viewport active, the viewport layer was frozen in "current viewport"! With that setting is thawed I can see the viewports, but I still don't understand what is going on. That setting generally has no effect in layout, or so I thought...
    I was starting to write this when I saw your reply, Tim. Thanks for helping, can you tell me about invisiblity properties? "Never heard of them before!
    It's just a property of an object that determines whether the object is visible or not. It's not available through the user interface (like in Properties), so most people don't run into it.

I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out, and thanks for posting what worked for you.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

the way I understand it, paper space itself is considered a viewport, if you watch when you plot, if you have one created viewport, it will tell you that it is plotting 2 viewports, so if you use freeze in current viewport while in paperspace, it actually freezes it in paperspace only.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Christopher, it's a good day when you learn something new! Even after all these years, hardly a day goes by that I don't learn something about ACAD, what a good way to start the day! Happy summer!

Login to Give a bone

Hi,

Old post but I am having a similar problem of a viewport being invisible.

The large drawing had a number of paper space tabs with a total of 56 viewports used. In one paper space there are two viewports that are invisible, but others on the same sheet are visible.

I stripped the file down to include only 1 element and to have the invisible viewport plus one new viewport. The drawing was purged and an audit done. I tried changing the viewport colours, line style & thickness, layer etc but nothing works to make it visible. The lisp code above was run but "no invisible viewports"

The layout tab ca be copied into a new drawing and the result is the same, so it appears to be related to the viewport and not the file configuration.

Not sure of the best option to fix this problem but do have to consider re-creating the drawing.

The file is attached in case anyone wants to have a look.

Regards,
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I can move the vport and I have changed every property that can be changed with the -change command but the vport is still invisible.
    .T's code reported "no invisible viewports" for me too.
    Sorry.

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Its similar to this thread.

And like my solution, QSELECT, then VPCLIP with a new clipping object. I just hope there will be a "delete clipping" option in the next release.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for looking and your suggestions. My main concern is corruption in the file. It is large, possibly too large, with 25 drawings in it.
    There are two viewports that are missing on the problem layout, so the QSELECT then VPCLIP does not work as I cannot select one viewport. However, as a temporary solution I have deleted and re-created the two missing viewports.
    I have done some testing creating many new viewports by doing a copy of an existing good viewport. Each one is ok up to the MAXACTVP 64 variable setting. Once over 64 viewports it becomes intermittent where some new viewports are missing the outline, and some not. The original problem occurred when the new layout was made as a copy of an existing one. The existing layout does not have a problem with any of the viewports, and there were only 5 viewports with 4 clipped.
    I am still concerned about possible file corruption so will need to create a completely new drawing file and copy in the existing elements.
    I will post any additional or new info here as or if anything is found.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast