See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on design process within Revit

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Opinions on design process within Revit

I think it's absolutely necessary. Many large contractors who don't get M+E in 3D have their own modeling teams to build a full model which they can use for scheduling and interference checks.
    I find that HVAC engineers are often very careless when it comes to just throwing things on a 2D sheet with no regard for other systems and structures or what's happening in 3D. So you get ducts and pipes running straight through beams or lots of headroom and equipment size issues.

Login to Give a bone

I do apologize, been busy with my study recently (have opted for an engineering degree eventually).
    I am still trying to get into the industry and it seems a barriers for entry are high enough, I cannot do any work since no company is willing to offer a practice or work experience.
    May I ask if professional certification with Revit MEP will help , as well as BIM level 2 course from BRE (UK).
    It will cost me around £1000 together, hence is the question

Thank you

Login to Give a bone

I am not an Autocad user although I have used it in the past but I would like to comment on the workflow and benefits that can be derived from 3D. Just for the record, I am a Bentley user.

1. The gain from building a model are from reducing conflicts in the field and providing the client with an environment in which he can see and make decisions on the footprint and make decisions on maintenance and operability.

2. It does take longer BEFORE drawings are available but it is up to you to mentor and guide the client through the process of building the model. Proving the client with 3D pdf's will enhance their appreciation of the modeling effort and by this time all changes should have been managed and resolved.

3.Change is inevitable but can be managed by multi-disciplinary weekly meetings and clash management and task list (excuses not acceptable at this point) and it should be made clear to all proponenets that a requirement of the contract is to work in the 3D world.

4.Contractors are beginning to provide 3D models, even if and sometimes it is preferable that the models are "dummied" down to save space and also on the project I have been working on the contractor will be using iPads to install 3D REBAR (PROCONCRETE). Once again no excuses. We transferred the data of the 3D REBAR model directly to the manufacturer for them to load onto their ASA equipped machines for cutting and bending, no drawings required AND the contractor chose not to provide their own rebar placement drawings as the ones we produced from the model were good enough. This whole process saved a huge amount of approval and turn around time.

5. From the model and database I can provide the client with daily progress updates directly from the model and material lists we can place the model in situ including all the earthworks. we can provide envelope for future equipment which has not been designed and send these to the contractor with the caveat he cannot exceed this volume. Through the database we can guarantee the final quantities for any area or discipline, this will address their concern about what comes on the site when.
    It sounds like you are not doing a good enough job selling 3D to the client and that everyone should be told that the train is leaving and they should shut the door from the outside if they are not coming on the journey. Hope this helps and I don't think it makes any difference what software you use.

I will be available after Dec 11th for consulting work.
    Last edited by cmcgowan; 2015-12-03 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Login to Give a bone

That is a sad comment on the industry if they are unwilling to take you on as an Intern. Whatever became of the apprenticeship system? Someone should be shot for this.

Login to Give a bone

Well,the response in this thread is very impressive, I learn a lot from you guys, thank you.
    May I ask your opinion on how actually interaction between design engineer and bim technician is working? Is there any impeding factors or mismanagement, ambiguity in decision making resulting in repetitive tasks and time wasting or anything of particular concern you wish would be better?

P.S.: Yes, it seems a barrier to entry to the industry is still beyond my reach. Not giving up though, it is awesome profession.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12