Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a little tricky selecting objects with Wacom?

Login to Give a bone

Default a little tricky selecting objects with Wacom?

Does anyone have trouble selecting objects or picking dimensions to change with a Wacom tablet. When I bring the pen tip close to the tablet the cursor on the screen shakes even if my hand is fairly steady.

Maybe I have my Wacom settings incorrect or other.

Wacom is set to:
    Positioning mode: Pen mode
    Tablet area: entire tablet
    Display area: entire area
    Aspect: proportional

I am using a Intuos 4X5 tablet (GD-0405-R) that is set across two displays. Is that the problem?

I am curious because I find it tedious to work with the tablet most of the day. I need switch off to the mouse which causes my wrist to hurt.

any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Nick Baum
    ---------------
    Chaleff & Rogers, Architects
    Water Mill, NY

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: a little tricky selecting objects with Wacom?

I find this happens occasionally when I try and select something from the Project Browser. I put it down to being a very low resolution tablet. Also, I'm only using one display.

This doesn't happen enough to bother me though.

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried "tabbing" to get the selection you want?

Login to Give a bone

I find that holding the pen as vertically as possible using my thumb and first two fingers (index finger on the rocker switch) as well as dragging my ring and pinkey on the surface of the tablet helps a lot. A big problem with picking things with the Wacom is as you move the pen down to 'click' you also tend to move the pen to the side as part of the natural curve of your hand. The more off-vertical you hold the pen the worse this seems.

But I do find Revit to be somewhat touchy about picking things sometimes with the Wacom, but I think that's because I'm using the cheaper one that's not as sensitive, for I didn't really have this issue when using an Intous.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gbrowne
    Have you tried "tabbing" to get the selection you want?
    Yes.

Unfortunately if there are many overlapping objects then that is the time to put down the pen and move the mouse into position and use the tab key to select the correct one.

nick

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the replies. I will try Jeffery's advice about holding pen more vertical. Also, maybe it is time for a higher resolution tablet.

Jeffery, which Intuos tablet did you find worked better?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cramail
    ...Unfortunately if there are many overlapping objects then that is the time to put down the pen and move the mouse into position and use the tab key to select the correct one...
    You shouldn't "need" to use the mouse to do this. Just hover (don't touch the tablet) over the object with the pen tip and press tab. There is a small range above the tablet which the pen still controls the cursor position and this allows you to use the cycle function of the tab key.

Like Jeffrey says, holding the pen more vertical helps a bit. I tend to put my thumb over the bottom half of the pen button. This makes right clicking very easy and I don't use the upper half of the button all that much anyway.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    You shouldn't "need" to use the mouse to do this. Just hover (don't touch the tablet) over the object with the pen tip and press tab. There is a small range above the tablet which the pen still controls the cursor position and this allows you to use the cycle function of the tab key.
    I don't have a problem hovering the pen over object and using the tab to select object. But once i have tabbed and I am ready to select the object the movement of the pen tip down onto the tablet moves the cursor location enough to select a different object. It does not happen all the time, only when objects are very close to each other. The mouse usually stays in position when you click the mouse button.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cramail
    ...But once i have tabbed and I am ready to select the object the movement of the pen tip down onto the tablet moves the cursor location enough to select a different object...
    aah...you need to get some "surgeon" hands... I think they are extra? (maybe included with the 21" Cintiq?

Login to Give a bone

Any of the Intous ones work great. Smaller is better IMHO for CAD, for you'll just exhaust your arm faster on the larger tablets.

But I also use mine with a laptop, and sometimes in tricky picking situations will hover with the pen but click with the laptop touchpad...

Also, when my wife was doing lots of very exacting photoshop work on historic photos, she was having this issue, for she couldn't let the mouse waver very much when clicking upon the photo, so she turned the rocker switch on the side to be a single click, and then simply hovered and clicked with her finger rather than tapping at all...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast