Thread: Family behavior within editor vs. within model

Login to Give a bone

Default Family behavior within editor vs. within model

I'm having issues with families behaving differently in the editor vs. in the model. I decided to modify the standard flush door family to have a separate "Trim Width Top" parameter, so I could change the frame to 4" on top for use in masonry openings, and still have the same 2" width on the sides.

So I simply opened the family, added the "Trim Width Top" parameter, and changed the "Trim Width" dimension for the top frame width to that new parameter. However when I tried to "flex" the family by changing the new parameter to different values, it gave me the error "Reference planes are overconstrained".

So, being suspicious of the behavior in the editor, I closed the file without saving changes and then opened it again. This time I merely changed the height of the door, and it gave me another error message. Very odd, considering that the height parameter of door families always works fine within models.

So I went ahead and put that new Top parameter back on there, reloaded the door family, and what do you know, it behaves just fine withing the model.

Of course working fine in the model is what's important, but it sucks to have to save a family, and keep reloading it into a project every time just to test out different parameters. I thought you were supposed to be able to "flex" the model in the family editor.
    Last edited by patricks; 2005-03-17 at 10:02 PM.

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family behavior within editor vs. within model

I'm having a similar problem...I laid out these awning 'frames' with a nested array. The images below are the exact same parameters...one in the editor and the other as it shows up in the project. The project version doesn't appear to follow any logic and I'm baffled.

Login to Give a bone

So I simply opened the family, added the "Trim Width Top" parameter, and changed the "Trim Width" dimension for the top frame width to that new parameter. However when I tried to "flex" the family by changing the new parameter to different values, it gave me the error "Reference planes are overconstrained".
    You really have to explore & see how the trim on the door was originally constructed, i.e. the trim on two sides & top may have been done by a single sweep.

grav8e,

I've never had any luck doing arrays in hosted families. They might work within the family, but break down (as in your example) when used in a project.

Try this:

Set up a single awning frame as an unhosted family & save.

Set up a second unhosted family & define length, width, height, materials, etc, parameters & reference planes to define the overall size of the awning.

Load the first family (frame member) into the second, position & constrain it in place, then array it & set up the parameters you need & set the relevent ones equal to the nested member's. Then save this family.

Start a third family (hosted wall family), set up the same parameters with an additional height param. Load the unhosted array family, position & constrain. Set the nested array params equal to the relevant parmes.

Flex the family & it should work.

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg
    ...Start a third family (hosted wall family), set up the same parameters with an additional height param. Load the unhosted array family, position & constrain. Set the nested array params equal to the relevant parmes.

Flex the family & it should work.
    Whoa...I'll have to try it when Ihave more time. Thanks for the tip!

Update: It works! Although...there is no need to put in a separate elevation parameter (offset from level) since there appears to be a parameter already there to account for that in the wall-based family. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by J. Grouchy; 2005-03-18 at 02:32 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg
    You really have to explore & see how the trim on the door was originally constructed, i.e. the trim on two sides & top may have been done by a single sweep.
    The trim was created as an extrusion out from the wall, with the inside edges aligned to the reference planes that determine the size of the door. Then there is a width parameter for each side and the top to determine how far out the trim extends. The basic family has the same parameter on both the sides and the top. What I did was just add a new parameter, and change the dimension along the top to be that new parameter.

But what baffles me is how I can open the family and change something as simple as the door height parameter, and it screws up, yet when I place the door in a project it works just fine when I change the height, or the top trim width, or whatever.