Thread: Dynamic Block, Move Text To Stay Aligned With Midpoint Of Stretched Line

Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Block, Move Text To Stay Aligned With Midpoint Of Stretched Line

Hi all,

Is there a way, in a dynamic block, to move text while stretching a line such that the text insertion point stays aligned (in the same relative position) with the midpoint of a line? I have text -- attribute definitions -- that sit above and below and parallel with a horizontal line that I want to stretch linearly in a dynamic block. But the text needs to stay centered on the midpoint of the line as it's being stretched.

Tough one, I think. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Richard

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block, Move Text To Stay Aligned With Midpoint Of Stretched Line

Use the justify options to centre the text and then place it centered on the line, then 2 stretch actions, one for the line and a separate one for the text with a multiplication value of 0.5
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block, Move Text To Stay Aligned With Midpoint Of Stretched Line

Quote Originally Posted by steven-g View Post
    Use the justify options to centre the text and then place it centered on the line, then 2 stretch actions, one for the line and a separate one for the text with a multiplication value of 0.5
    Thank you, this will be much easier than what I had envisioned. Where do you set the multiplication value of 0.5?

Login to Give a bone

click on the action to highlight it and look in the properties in the Overrides.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by steven-g View Post
    click on the action to highlight it and look in the properties in the Overrides.
    Beautiful! One last question, I would hope, where does one pick up this information? Not sure I've seen much in the way of "how to" when it comes to the fine points of dynamic blocks. Or, do you think this is the place?

Login to Give a bone

Various forums, Here, Autodesk, CADTutor, no one spot in particular.

Login to Give a bone

Yep ... Thank you!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unfortunately there is very little information on dynamic block creation. Trial and error seem to be the way most people learn them. Go to the dynamic block forum and check out blocks people have made to see how they are put together. Autodesk University's online classes may have advanced classes on dynamic block creation. Be sure and check out using parametrics in your blocks, too. Our office has moved away from block actions and use parametrics almost exclusively in our blocks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by NEaton View Post
    Unfortunately there is very little information on dynamic block creation. Trial and error seem to be the way most people learn them. Go to the dynamic block forum and check out blocks people have made to see how they are put together. Autodesk University's online classes may have advanced classes on dynamic block creation. Be sure and check out using parametrics in your blocks, too. Our office has moved away from block actions and use parametrics almost exclusively in our blocks.
    Thank you! Parametrics, you say. I'll definitely look into this. So much to learn, so little time. But, fortunately, it's all fascinating to me.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks, oldie but goodie. Easier than thought!