Thread: Startup switch to prevent AutoCAD from loading XREF's

Wish List Administration

Default Startup switch to prevent AutoCAD from loading XREF's

Summary: A new command line switch to suppress the loading of XREF's

Description: A new command line switch for acad.exe and accoreconsole.exe which suppresses the loading of XREF's.
    During developement of custom plugins, debugging would be greatly accelerated if AutoCAD wouldn't have to search for all the Xrefs - which can be a burden on a congested network.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Other

Submitted By: Johann Wimmer on 10/16/2015

AUGI Addict

Default Re: Startup switch to prevent AutoCAD from loading XREF's

When testing plug-ins I use deliberately constructed test drawings which contain just enough to handle what I'm testing. If the routine is intended to work on large (numerically or file size) references then it gets tested under those conditions too.

And it is possible to open a drawing without loading XREFs, using the partial open option. In addition to choosing which layers to load it also offers the option to unload all XREFs.
    If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
    Some say beauty is in the eye of the Beholder... perhaps so, but I've only seen the disintegration beam.
    Everyone else being wrong is not the same thing as being right.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Default Re: Startup switch to prevent AutoCAD from loading XREF's

Unfortunately, the partial loading command doesn't work with all drawings (e.g. when AEC Objects are present).

When testing plug-ins I use deliberately constructed test drawings...
    I usually do too. But often times I code functionality which is only needed once or twice (to correct specific things) and/or is needed very fast - The need to construct test drawings is potential slow-down.

The more important reason for me is the core console, which can tremendously speed up batch operations - if xrefs could be suppressed, the speed increase up would be even more dramatic.