Thread: Drop Down Attributes

Wish List Administration

Default Drop Down Attributes

Summary: Blocks would have an attribute that is a drop down list for users to pick from.

Description: As we push standards more and more, we find that blocks, especially Dynamic Blocks, are very useful in helping keep those standards. In an effort to limit what can be entered into a block attribute, the creator could compile a drop down list of acceptable responses that need to be tracked when that block is used. The user then simply selects the pull down list, selects the correct response and away they go. This takes away fat finger syndrome throwing the count off because an entry was spelled wrong or because the user wasn't sure exactly which word to use to describe the action. An example would be part disposition. We label our parts being removed with a REMOVAL attribute. Some users still use the term ripout so they type that. When we run the data extraction we now have two separate pieces that really should be 2 REMOVALs. If that user had a drop down list to pick from, REMOVAL would have been all he had found and used the correct term.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Blocks

Submitted By: Light Guy on 11/25/2015

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Default Re: Drop Down Attributes

I am doing something similar, user select from a drop down list of attributes, they also have descriptions next to the selection. This is a built in function for that area of your request i believe, might be missing something H.D.A.D., high definition attention deficit, smile.

Why not just a Tool Palette?

Configure the (dynamic?) blocks for each condition, and then drag it onto the Tool Palette, name it, configure Layer, etc.

That way, a user simply adds the pre-configured block to the drawing, and can manipulate thereafter as needed, effectively making it more work to do their own thing.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

You mean something like this. You can add as many as you want into a block. It just needs a regen to refresh the screen
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok Steven-g, how'd you do that?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Wish List Admin,
    I wish you good luck in getting this passed on. I tried almost the exact same wish several years ago with no success, but I would still like to see this one added to AutoCAD.
    Sal

Certifiable AUGI Addict

This may help:

CADNOTES
    How to make drop-down selection for AutoCAD Block

By Edwin Prakoso on Aug 23, 2016 09:24 pm
    https://www.cad-notes.com/drop-down-...autocad-block/
    Last edited by Tom Beauford; 2018-08-28 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Updated bad link

I'm pretty sure i've been doing this using Block Properties Tables for a few years.

that's exactly what I was thinking. I've used the Block table to create a room label list of default room names. the user picks from that list and then the name can be edited if needed; example: Bedroom x = Bedroom 1, 2, 3, etc.

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Sorry for bad link before.

This may help:

CADNOTES
    How to make drop-down selection for AutoCAD Block

By Edwin Prakoso on Aug 23, 2016 09:24 pm
    https://www.cad-notes.com/drop-down-...autocad-block/

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Lists of the last attribute values ​​are implemented in the A>V>C> Properties Palette. This plugin can be found in the Autodesk App Store