Thread: 20 building in Revit, now it's lagging, any solution? Different software for large projects?

Login to Give a bone

Default 20 building in Revit, now it's lagging, any solution? Different software for large projects?

Hi, I made a 3D model of my Village in Revit with 20 buildings as links.

Now the problem is that after loading these links Revit lags a lot.

My system configuration is 32 GB RAM, 4.00 GHz Octa Processor, Nvidia Quadro K620.

Now with the file running in the baground hardly any of my resources are being used.
    Max is 5 GB RAM, 800 MB in the graphic card and processor is used around 30%.
    The project is on an SSD and even it's not being used.

How do I reduce this lag? Is a different software recommended for such large scale projects?
    I plan on working on smart cities as well. What software should I use for that? Is Revit sufficient because a smart city will have many more buildings and then Revit will lag like crazy.

What do I do?
    Last edited by lolcocks123702535; 2015-12-08 at 02:25 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 20 building in Revit, now it's lagging, any solution? Different software for large projects?

You can still use Revit as your authoring tools for individual buildings but it's not really meant to be used as an urban planning and visualization tool.
    You might want to try exporting to Navisworks and creating an aggregate model there. The model size and the graphics engine in Navis can handle larger models much better than Revit can and navigating around the model is easier and quicker in Navis as well.
    If memory serves one of the sample files that comes with Navis is the entire city of Bath in England that contains pretty much every building in the city. Navigation is smooth and easy for flythroughs and walking.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 20 building in Revit, now it's lagging, any solution? Different software for large projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri Harvalias View Post
    You can still use Revit as your authoring tools for individual buildings but it's not really meant to be used as an urban planning and visualization tool.
    You might want to try exporting to Navisworks and creating an aggregate model there. The model size and the graphics engine in Navis can handle larger models much better than Revit can and navigating around the model is easier and quicker in Navis as well.
    If memory serves one of the sample files that comes with Navis is the entire city of Bath in England that contains pretty much every building in the city. Navigation is smooth and easy for flythroughs and walking.
    Wow, thanks for your reply sir.
    I will surely try it out.

One more thing that I wanted to ask was does it support rendering?
    Like usually my clients ask how their site will look after I am done with designing it in Revit. So I render their site in Revit and give them the photos.

Now this was in small projects and sites.
    What do I do with big ones?
    Does Naviswork or InfraWorks support rendering?

My friend told me InfraWorks is also good.
    Which one should I use? InfraWorks or Naviswork?

Thank you.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Both support rendering and both will probably do the job you want (as I understand your requirements from your post). Do a little research on both products to check out features and then contact a reseller to find out which would best suit your needs. Not sure what software you already own but the 'Premium' building design suite includes Navisworks