Thread: Design Options

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Design Options

Lets say the client wishes to see an alternate stair design after the CD's have already created a stair. Can 'Design Options' work for this condition or do I need to simply Save-As and re-do the stair. Design Options only seem to refer to work (options) not completed in the main drawing. Is this correct?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Design Options

If I understand your question the answer is not exactly...

Design option is an option until a decision is made on which solution to go for. As any multiple views you can create of the same floor plan, and choose to have one view of the floor plan viewed a certain way and another floor plan a different way you can do the same with Design Options. You have a Cd completed, now there is a question to maybe go to a different stair design. You use design options and add the stairs in question to be the option you are working on. You then make sure that the original stair is your "Primary" then in the other options you would either delete or modify the stairs in question. and create multiple options. You can duplicate the views (floor plan, elevation, section, perspectives, 3d views) and overide the visibilty to show one option, and not another.... When a decision is made to go for one stair, and not another, then you can make the correct option the primary one....if you want to just show various options for the contractor to choose or for a decision to be made in the future, just show the various optional views of the alternative stair and the main stair will remain the current one in your con docs...

I hope I didn't misunderstand yuor question...I am extremely late to go to my wife and children...

Peace,
    Last edited by luigi; 2005-03-21 at 07:43 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You have the jest of it, however the stairs were completed prior to using any Design Options. Now it seems I need to erase the stairs and re-create them after I start Design options, now construction both options. I trying to avoid recreating that first set. Was not an easy set but could do it again if I had to.
    Understand being late to meet wife, been there, done that, and paid dearly.

Login to Give a bone

Use the add to design option set tool. You can add the el;emets into as many options as you wish. Then you can edit the different options as needed.

Login to Give a bone

Like aaron said, you don't have to recreate any item...just add it to your newly created Design Option. What will happen is that it will be added to all your options within your set. Then you will keep the main stairs in one option (the primary) and delete the stairs from the other options...

Login to Give a bone

When adding to the option set, you get to choose which options it gets added to. So,
    - Create a design option set.
    - Create an option for each alternative, including primary.
    - Select the stair.
    - Add to Option Set.
    - Select only the primary option.
    This will "move" the stair into the primary option. You then create alternatives in the other options. (Or, if it is easier, add the stair to all options and then change it in each of the non-primary options.)

Another way to add elements to an existing option is to Cut the elements, start editing the option, and then Paste Aligned | Same Place.

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Design Options

Hey there,

In addition, design options are very handy for use in your CD's. They are a great way to manage and show 'additive' or 'deduct' alternates on the drawings.

I create separate sheets, numbered as "ALT" after the real sheet number, and use duplicated views of the base "primary" drawings, and then modify the view to show the design option needed for the alternates.

Real timesaver!
    Good luck
    Steve