Thread: Revit to Photoshop

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Question Revit to Photoshop

When we export a jpeg, tiff, bmp to PS the lineweights in PS are very thick. Even when they are set to "one" thickness.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments as to why this is? We were thinking it's a scale issue in PS but are not sure if it is and what you can do to keep from having elephant lines in PS views.
    Last edited by sjsl; 2005-03-21 at 09:23 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit to Photoshop

Is this when you create an image from a hidden/shaded view? I assume so...It isn't the best to export those views to image....also the lines aren't really Antialiased, so the lines look jaggedy. It is better to print to pdf and them import that in Photoshop. I haven't tried it, but pdf will look more accurate.
    If you render the images, of course, the image is perfect...

All AUGI, all the time DanielleAnderson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Have you tried exporting or printing the image to a pdf and then opening that in photoshop? It may be a longshot, but sometimes those kinds of tricks work for me.

Jinx - Luigi.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

We were just going to try it. I will let you know.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

only problem I ever have is the lineweights being too thin?? Maybe you need to increase the view size or something? or do it with thinline mode on maybe? I have to poster edges in pshop a few times to beef them up.

Login to Give a bone

To get into photoshop...
    Print the drawing as PDF.
    Use settings->Lineweights and adjust the lineweight for perspective views. I find the default weights much too strong for importing into Photoshop. Usually I just want a hint of linework and set them all to 0.0030"
    Adjust the image size for a reasonable PDF file size. Also the lineweights will be relative to the image size. So a bigger image will have finer lineweights. Photoshop will use 150 DPI on import of the PDF. So a 20" wide image will be 3000 px wide.

If you want to export directly to a TIF, use the same basic rules. If you set the lineweight fine enough and make the image large enough, you'll get crisp lines which make good boundaries for painting. If you print a view with no surface texture on walls, roofs, etc, you'll have nice boundaries of all the 3D shapes. Then you can turn on the surface detail and print another copy you can overlay on to of any painting you do.

The attached image was a very quick illustration done with an exported PDF of a shaded Revit view and just a bunch of clipped images for entourage. Not a high end rendering, but then again I didn't spend but a couple of hours working it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for th e replies. We have begun using pdf's and I like Aaron's approach so we'll give it a go.