See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do the lines in my drawing print so faded?

Login to Give a bone

Default Why do the lines in my drawing print so faded?

I recently had to reformat my computer which runs in Windows XP on AutoCAD LT. After loading AutoCAD, whenever I print a drawing, all the lines are so light you can barely see them. I have change the scale for the linetype and any other thing I can think of but nothing works. The drawings worked fine before I had to reload the program. Any suggestions?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why do the lines in my drawing print so faded?

You might check you pen table, I know a guy loaded a new version of Autocad on his machine and somehow over wrote the pen table on his old version. Never did quite figure out how he did it. Luckily I had one of his old dwgs with the pen table. SO I could replace it.

Login to Give a bone

I have been using AutoCAD LT for many years but am not educated on all it's intricacies. I do not know how to check or change the pen tables. I am not using a plotter, I am using an inkjet printer. The lines used to be heavy and easily read and now they are there but so light you almost cannot read them. Something happened when I had to reform the drive and reload ACLT on the Win XP computer.

Login to Give a bone

I'll suggest you research Help on plotting, lineweights, plot styles, ctb files, stb files, and so on. There are a couple of dozen different things that can cause what you describe , so unless you understand how it works, you will continue to run into issues. And since we don't know how you used to do it, (eg how you handled lineweights, plotstyles, pen tables, etc.) it's pretty impractical to try and fix remotely.

Login to Give a bone

Well, it appears this problem isn't going to be solved here. That's a shame because I have looked into anything I can imagine that it might be on my own. Maybe I will try removing and reinstalling AutoCAD and see if it solves the problem it created in the last install. Two responses and all I get is that I should check into pen tables, plotting (I already said I don't plot), lineweights, plot styles, ctb files (no idea what these are), stb files (these either), and so on. So On? Kinda leaves me where I was when I started this thread.

Login to Give a bone

Whether you say plot or print they still use either an ctb or stb.

Login to Give a bone

Have you also re-installed the printer (plotter) driver? That may have changed.
    Your problem is not connected with the core of acad, just the output.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by leebo720078 View Post
    Well, it appears this problem isn't going to be solved here. That's a shame because I have looked into anything I can imagine that it might be on my own. Maybe I will try removing and reinstalling AutoCAD and see if it solves the problem it created in the last install. Two responses and all I get is that I should check into pen tables, plotting (I already said I don't plot), lineweights, plot styles, ctb files (no idea what these are), stb files (these either), and so on. So On? Kinda leaves me where I was when I started this thread.
    To clarify some of the misunderstandings, see below.

Pen Tables: This is the conversion table assigned to the output of the drawing. This conversion may assign lineweights to drawing elements (lines, arcs, polylines, etc.). This table is also known as a file with a file extension of either .ctb or .stb. The colors or plot styles assigned within the drawing has additional definitions within this table.

Plotting: This is a alternative term for printing.

Lineweights: This is the assigned line weight of drawing elements. This can be assigned within the drawing or within the pen table file described above.

Plot Styles: This is typically assigned to layers, but can be assigned to drawing elements specifically. The available plot styles must correspond to the .STB file assigned to your page setup.

It seems you may be using the default pen table, which I believe is the acad.ctb file. You can access the folder containing the loaded pen table files through the Application -> Print -> Manage Plot Styles.

If you have ever used eTransmit and have access to the generated files, you may have a copy of your previous pen tables from there.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    I'll suggest you research Help on plotting, lineweights, plot styles, ctb files, stb files, and so on. There are a couple of dozen different things that can cause what you describe , so unless you understand how it works, you will continue to run into issues. And since we don't know how you used to do it, (eg how you handled lineweights, plotstyles, pen tables, etc.) it's pretty impractical to try and fix remotely.
    Quote Originally Posted by leebo720078 View Post
    Cadtag has a good point, we can't help you unless you give us more specific information. I could be lots of things.
    If you don't figure it out with a re-install or maybe an updated printer driver, you can post a sample drawing or a screen shot of your Print/Plot dialog box.

When you go to print/plot, you get a dialog where you pick your printer, sheet size, scale etc and there it shows you what "plot style" the layout was set to use (examples: "acad.ctb", "monochrome.stb")

Definitely read up on printing and plot styles, it can only help you.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if your drawing is looking for plot style and you don't have it, it will show as "missing" and that would probably be your problem.

Login to Give a bone

I believe a lot of the problem is the version of AutoCAD LT that I am using. It appears I am using a version from 1996 (Ver 3) because when I print I do not get a window as shown in one of the responses. I did discover on thing. All my newer drawings are faded out so I loaded an old drawing and the line weight is fine with that drawing. It appears something was changed in the Half Size.dwg file that I was using as a template. My drawings have all been half size so I loaded that template and created the drawing using it. So I guess I will have to find all the faded out drawings and copy them into the new template I created that has the proper line weight. Below is a screen shot of the print window I get when I print. Thanks for the additional suggestions.

Screenshot.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast