Thread: How to find length of line shape intersecting various polygon shapes

Login to Give a bone

Default How to find length of line shape intersecting various polygon shapes

I have a drawing that is set to the desired datum. I have connected to two shape files, "snowmobile trails" and "vegetation cover type" (see attached jpg). I want to find the number of miles of snowmobile trail that pass through each of the hundreds of different vegetation cover types. "Cover type" is a column header in the vegetation cover type database. So the end result I am looking for is a data table that provides a new column heading specifying the length for each "snowmobile trail x cover type". I have successfully intersected the two shape files into a sdf, using Analyze tab/Feature panel/Feature Overlay. What I need is a new column heading that tells me the length of each new trail segment (trail segment x cover type). I don't know how to proceed from here. Any help?

Thanks,
    Kelly
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to find length of line shape intersecting various polygon shapes

Perhaps I am asking my question incorrectly. I just want to know the sum of the length of snowmobile trail through each of the various vegetation cover types. Snowmobile trails are in one shape file, Cover Types in another. And I also created an intersect of the two. Perhaps I can find the answer with a query? I typically don't do analysis with CAD, just mapping. If I need GIS data analysis I find someone who knows what they are doing. But I don't have that luxury this week. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to find length of line shape intersecting various polygon shapes

Once you do the overlay analysis you can do a calculation on the SDF file/layer. Open the table and click on the options at the bottom and select Create Calculation.

calculation.png

Login to Give a bone

Murph, thanks a ton! So simple, yet I wasted a bunch of time trying to figure it out on my own! I appreciate your help!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kscolfer View Post
    Murph, thanks a ton! So simple, yet I wasted a bunch of time trying to figure it out on my own! I appreciate your help!
    Your welcome anytime.