See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revit with pen-tablet (like Wacom)

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit with pen-tablet (like Wacom)

Hi everyone, I use Revit daily for drawing, modeling, and coordination and have been having wrist pain. I've tried a few different mouse types such as the Logitech track ball, the Evoluent vertical mouse, and the DXT vertical mouse. Each has helped some but only temporarily.

The only other idea I have is a pen tablet such as the Wacom Bamboo or Intuos Pro. I've read through various forum posts and find that though not many people use these products, most of the people who do use them are satisfied - after a short adjustment period.

Can you give advice on the specifics to help me purchase the right product:

1. The "Medium" tablet has an active area of about 6"x9". There is also a large and a small size. Which size is ideal for Revit?

2. The Pro tablets appear to have pressure sensitive pens and extra buttons, however some people have stated disagreement on whether those are useful for Revit. Does that mean a cheaper tablet version may work just as well for Revit?

If you have any other feedback also, I'd appreciate it.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit with pen-tablet (like Wacom)

FWIW I have an older Wacom Graphite, with both a mouse and a stylus. The Stylus always felt kludgy in ACAD, and never seemed to work right as far as clicking on a point, and the mouse was just a mouse that only worked on the tablet.. I've also got a large logitech performance mx mouse, and a vertical mouse. When my wrist is bothering me, i'll swap around between them- and pop on the handy wrist brace. gel pads at the keyboard and around the mouse for support.

Login to Give a bone

I have the Intuos Pro that you mention, with the 9x6 usable area. I've found it very useful and my wrist thanks me a lot. There was a little bit of time spent getting used to it, but overall I much prefer it to a mouse.

I do keep a mouse on my left hand, because as cadtag mentioned, it can be difficult at times clicking on snaps in ACAD. The mouse also gives me the scroll wheel that the tablet is lacking.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

some users love , some hate it, mostly because the mouse scroll wheel is very handy for zooming on CAD programs and Wacom tablets have that feature on the tablet surface, requiring putting the pen aside to use it. Pressure sensitivity is also ignored in those programs, neglecting one of the tablet's main features. On the other hand, the more ergonomic position and programmable buttons could more than make up for it.

XP-Pen recently introduced an optional pen designed specifically for 3D programs. The XP-Pen DECO 02 less than $100 at their offical shop : – compatible with current Intuos Pro, Cintiq Pro and MobileStudio Pro models – trades the pressure sensitive eraser in the back for an additional customizable button that can be mapped to any command in your application. It’s not a real breakthrough compared to the regular Pro Pen, but the extra button can come in handy when navigating 3 axis of movement in a 3D design program.