Thread: Walls in plan view will not show core layers (needed to dimension to core)

Login to Give a bone

Default Walls in plan view will not show core layers (needed to dimension to core)

I've searched for hours now and can't determine what's wrong. I've been working in Revit for about a year now, and I'm still finding things that amaze me, and things the frustrate me. This is one of the latter.

The issue: in my floor plan, my walls are showing only the finish lines. I've tried dozens of suggestions from forums & autodesk help, but to no avail. My cut plan is set at 4'-0". If I build a pony wall up to 3'-0", the walls shows a white fill. All walls that cross that 4'-0" plane show a solid grey fill. I don't even need to turn the finish layers off, I just need to be able to see the core layers so I can dimension to them.

I have a completed building/model that I'm creating construction documents on. Our office standard is to have framing plans dimensioned from stud to to stud (so from the left side of stud #1 to the left side of stud #2, ignoring wall thickness). Everyone draws in AutoCAD except for me, and I'm spearheading the transition to Revit.

The tricks I thought had the most chance of working (but didn't) are:

1. Changing my dimension toolbar to "Faces of Core" allows me to dimension to the studs, but you can't see the studs to see what I'm dimensioning.
    2. I've tried every variant of Visibility/Graphic Overrides I can find or think of
    3. I've tried every variant of "Override Host Layers" (Cut Line Styles) I can find or think of.
    4. Changing the Detail Level from Course to Fine doesn't affect it.

I'm at a loss, but I can't complete a framing plan without making this work, and I really don't want to have to export everything to AutoCAD to create my sheets.

Here's a picture of one area where I've dimensioned to the wall cores using "Faces of Core" in the dimensioning toolbar. This is our standard, but I have to be able to see the core.

Thoughts? Thanks for any help.

I'm using the Revit Design Suite 2016.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to david.metcalf's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Walls in plan view will not show core layers (needed to dimension to core)

Hi Chris,

Welcome to posting to AUGI.

As this is applying dimensions which are 2D Annotation elements and you must work in the view that you plot, I suggest you temporarily apply a working View Template to the plotting plan view, which shows the wall cores and then apply the dimensions. After you are done with dimensioning, switch the View Template to back to a plot plan view.

Do you think that workflow will do it for you?

Regards,
    David

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Walls in plan view will not show core layers (needed to dimension to core)

Quote Originally Posted by david.metcalf View Post
    Do you think that workflow will do it for you?
    Thanks so much for your reply, David.

Honestly, I don't know. I've never worked with View Templates before, so I'm unfamiliar with them. I'm not exactly sure how to do what you're saying. When I apply a view template, it doesn't change much, and the wall cores don't show up.

I've attached a picture of another building we recently did in AutoCAD. My overall goal is for the prints from Revit to look the same way, where we can see the core and the finish lines of the wall, but we're dimensioning to the core. I have to be able to see both to meet our office standards. Would a view template help me do that? If so, how?

Thanks again. Sorry for my ignorance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

If you're getting a solid fill in the Walls ans are unable to see the "Layers" within the Walls, my guess would be Phasing.
    If those are Existing walls and you've got a Phase Override set, that take priority.
    Just to see if that is the problem, try temporarily changing the Phase of some of the walls to New Construction.
    If they show the Core Layers (in Fine Detail mode), then you'll have to change the Phase Filter to not show Existing greyed out.

Login to Give a bone

No phasing, it's a new building. But I finally found my problem with the view templates. I duplicated the architectural floor plan template and played with the settings. When I changed the Detail Level to Fine, the wall layers showed up. Without the view template, changing the Detail Level didn't do anything. In the View Template, though, it fixed it. Sometimes Revit seems to operate on black magic, but I guess that's probably just Clarke's 3rd Law.

Thanks again. I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I found that I had duplicated a wall type and changed a layer by copying the material of the Interior finish material to the exterior wall finish.
    When I selected that new finish from the drop down, the wall plan and section behaved as expected and showed the layers.
    Who knew?

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried setting the "Detail Level" of the plan view to "Medium" or "Fine".
    wall dims.JPG

Or, if you leave the "Detail Level" of the plan to "Coarse; in the "Visibility/Graphic Overrides" set the "Detail Level" of the walls to "Medium" or "Fine".
    wall dims 2.jpg

Then just use the "Tab" button on your keyboard to switch through the linework while dimensioning.
    FYI, You can set these setting per each floor or within the template.