Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Paper Sizes

Active Member Robert.Williams82344's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Custom Paper Sizes

(AutoCAD 2005, LDD 2005)
    I didn't see any forums on Plotting or Plot configurations, so I'm hoping this is the place to post this thread. Anyways, here's my problem:

I created two custom sheets (for now, until I can get past this problem), a 24.5" x 36.5" and a 30.5" x 42.5", under the Custom Paper Sizes field in the Plotter Configuration Editor. Then I created two custom pages in the Page Setup Manager, a 24" x 36" and a 30" x 42", that utilize the previously mentioned custom sheets, respectively.

If the last Page Setup that I saved to my .PC3 file was the 24.5" x 36.5", then both of my sheets default to the 24.5" x 36.5" paper size. Likewise, if I last saved the 30.5" x 42.5" page to the .PC3 file, then both sheets default to the 30.5" x 42.5" paper size.

What I'm looking for is either a FIX, or a WORKAROUND. Has anybody else had this problem?

I don't have a problem printing with either paper size, both work fine, except for the fact that whenever I preview a drawing, I have to now make sure that the paper size hasn't defaulted to the wrong size.

Shouldn't each Page Setup have it's own independent settings? Why does it use the settings directly from the .PC3 file?

If someone can get this message to the developers at AutoCAD, please do because I can't seem to get through to the right people.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom Paper Sizes

Hi

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the ACAD 2005 General Forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Apologies in advance if the below is teaching you to suck eggs....

Within your PC3 file (open this file directly), create the Custom Paper Sizes you require (a PMP file will be automatically created, this file is directly associated with the PC3 and contains information such as Custom Paper Sizes). Save and Close.

Create the required Page Setups using the above PC3 file in the process.

Should then be good to go.

+

Might want to have a browse of the following threads -

page setup

custom paper

plotter customization

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Well Mike, I followed the links below, downloaded the patch that HP has on their website for the problem, and I'm still having the same problem. I think I now have it nailed down to the "SOURCE" that is listed in the Plotter Configurations.

At the top of the "Plot..." window, when I click on Page Setup and then select the Page that I want, the Paper Size that is listed in the Paper Size pull down menu should change to the size that I have set for that page setup, but it doesn't.

Sorry, but it looks to me like it is an AutoCAD issue, not an HP issue. I could be wrong, but I've been back and forth with this for the past 2 months.

If you haven't already done it, give it a try. Open the Plot window then click on properties. With the "Source and Size <Src: Roll-fed Source><Width: 36 Inch Roll><Size: Whatever Size you select>" highlighted, click on a size in the list box below. Then exit the Configuration Manager. (I am saving the changes to my PC3 file, because I'm trying to modify my DWT.)

From there, your paper size automatically changes to the size you just select in the Plot Configuration Manager.

Now, try to change your Page Setup. Doesn't matter what I do, the source of the plotter at the time stays as the paper size.

Sorry, but that just doesn't seem right. I should be able to set 1000 different pages with 1000 different paper sizes, and I shouldn't have to go into the plot configuration manger to do it every time.

Thanks for your help Mike, this has just been bugging me for the past couple months and I had to get it out here. I sure hope they have this taken care of in 2006, we've almost got that too, just waiting on the delivery.

Have a good one, thanks...

RW

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW.82344
    If you haven't already done it, give it a try. Open the Plot window then click on properties. With the "Source and Size <Src: Roll-fed Source><Width: 36 Inch Roll><Size: Whatever Size you select>" highlighted, click on a size in the list box below. Then exit the Configuration Manager. (I am saving the changes to my PC3 file, because I'm trying to modify my DWT.)

From there, your paper size automatically changes to the size you just select in the Plot Configuration Manager.

Now, try to change your Page Setup. Doesn't matter what I do, the source of the plotter at the time stays as the paper size.

Sorry, but that just doesn't seem right. I should be able to set 1000 different pages with 1000 different paper sizes, and I shouldn't have to go into the plot configuration manger to do it every time.
    Hi

I honestly can't see why you need to click on the "Properties" button within the Plot dialog box....

We first create PC3 files (and associated PMP files <automatically created>) for everyone of our AutoCAD output devices (Hewlett-Packard / Oce / Minolta); every PC3 file contains "Custom Paper Sizes" (for a few reasons, we only use Custom Paper Sizes).

We then create Page Setups using the method outlined in post "RE: page setup".

All I can say - We have found by using the above method we have never experienced the issues / problems you appear to be going through (please note I am not saying our method is the only method or the best method, all I'm saying is "It works for us").

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

I guess my real problem here is that I am constantly switching between 24x36 and 30x42 paper sizes. Using the same plotter to do all of the print jobs. I don't just plot the 24x36 on the 750c, them move onto another plotter for my 30x42 sheets and another for my 18x26, and so on.

What good is the Page Setup pull-down box in the plot window, if you can't use it?

My whole point for clicking on the "Properties" button was to show you that the Paper Size (in the middle of the Plot window) will always default to the "Source" listed in that plotter's properties.

In my mind (as a programmer, and as a user) that is wrong. I should be able to click on the Page Setup and have it automatically change the size of my paper to the size listed within the Page Setup Manager.

You must understand Mike, I KNOW how to create a Page Setup, and I know how to plot, I've been using AutoCAD since Release 9 came out.

I've attached jpg's of the three dialogs I'm talking about. I'm not sure how they will show up, but I hope they help. Please note that I have the current page setup set to 24x36, so the 24x36 shows up as the default Page Setup in the plot window. BUT, because the source of the paper (as far as the plotter is concerned) is the 30x42. So, 30x42 is what is showing up in the Paper Size pull-down box, and that is what is going to plot.

I hope I'm not p***ing (darn filters) you off, that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to solve a problem that it doesn't seem like anyone else see's. If I am, then I'm sorry, just pass me on to someone else that can help.

I'd still like to thank you for your effort.

Thanks

RW
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Hi
    I guess my real problem here is that I am constantly switching between 24x36 and 30x42 paper sizes. Using the same plotter to do all of the print jobs. I don't just plot the 24x36 on the 750c, them move onto another plotter for my 30x42 sheets and another for my 18x26, and so on.
    We also have output devices that have / use different paper roll widths (these devices only use one PC3 file per output device. Ok! that statement is not 100% true; we had to set-up our Oce TCS 400's differently, but that is an all together different issue).

What good is the Page Setup pull-down box in the plot window, if you can't use it?
    Like I said earlier, Page Setups work perfectly for us.

My whole point for clicking on the "Properties" button was to show you that the Paper Size (in the middle of the Plot window) will always default to the "Source" listed in that plotter's properties.
    Pass, it doesn't for us.

In my mind (as a programmer, and as a user) that is wrong. I should be able to click on the Page Setup and have it automatically change the size of my paper to the size listed within the Page Setup Manager.
    That is the way it should work, does for us.

You must understand Mike, I KNOW how to create a Page Setup, and I know how to plot, I've been using AutoCAD since Release 9 came out.
    Please note I never said you didn't (hence "Apologies in advance if the below is teaching you to suck eggs....").

I hope I'm not p***ing (darn filters) you off, that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to solve a problem that it doesn't seem like anyone else see's. If I am, then I'm sorry, just pass me on to someone else that can help.
    Your not, and no sorry required.

I just can not recreate your issue / problem (plus I have never experienced or seen the issue / problem you are currently experiencing), therefore is very difficult for me to see exactly what the issue / problem is, then attempt to offer a workable solution.

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2005-03-24 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Correct poor grammar.

Login to Give a bone

Understandable. That's what I was trying to get at, if it works for you, then there must be a problem on my system. I'll just keep looking.

If anyone else has this problem, please reply. Maybe we can try to work through it together.

Ultimately I'm sure it will be more of a nightmare than anything, but I guess we'll just have to deal with it.

If I figure it out, be sure that I will keep this thread updated.

Thanks again Mike.

RW

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Ok! longshot here....

What do you have system variable PaperUpDate set to?

If set to 1 (One), try changing it to 0 (Zero).

If set to 0 (Zero), I did say it was a longshot....

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, it was a longshot. But thanks anyways.

Odd though, when I change my page setups between plotters/printer (in the plot window), the paper size does change. Only time it doesn't change is when I'm changing pages setups on the same plotter.

Thanks Again Mike.

RW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast