Thread: Displaying glass (door) in plan

Login to Give a bone

Default Displaying glass (door) in plan

I would like to represent a glass panel in a door shown in plan.
    I am unable to find a way to accomplish this without exploding the AEC object and adding the geometry of the glass in plan.
    Can someone show me the way please? Thank you.
    -alex
    Last edited by alexo; 2008-02-03 at 09:24 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Displaying glass (door) in plan

Quote Originally Posted by alexo View Post
    I would like to represent a glass panel in a door shown in plan.
    I am unable to find a way to accomplish this without exploding the AEC object and adding the geometry of the glass in plan.
    Can someone show me the way please? Thank you.
    -alex
    Sorry, no time for a sample file, but what you will need to do is add a custom display block to your door style (as a style-level display override) for the Display Representation(s) in which you wish to see it. Depending upon how you want the graphics to appear, you could just add to the out-of-the-box door panel, or turn off the out-of-the-box door panel and show everything in your display block.

Login to Give a bone

"you could just add to the out-of-the-box door panel"
    I think that is what I have been looking for but I can't find how to do it.
    I would like to see a line to represent a glass panel in plan, without going through numerous steps (if possible).
    I added a profile to one of my door styles in my attempt to show glass in plan, but the doors still show a flush door in plan.
    Messed around with the display properties unsuccessfully.

Thank you very much for your help, David.
    Also, I wanted to show lever hardware in one of the door styles, but when I added to one style, the other styles show it as well. Why is it all or none? Do you know?

Thanks once more,
    -alex

Login to Give a bone

"you could just add to the out-of-the-box door panel"
    I think that is what I have been looking for but I can't find how to do it. I would like to see a line to represent a glass panel in plan, without going through numerous steps (if possible).
    Unfortunately, what you want can not be done is just one step. When I said "add to the out-of-the-box door panel," what I meant was that you could keep the out-of-the-box panel graphics turned on, and add additional graphics for the glass, using a custom block.
    I added a profile to one of my door styles in my attempt to show glass in plan, but the doors still show a flush door in plan.
    Messed around with the display properties unsuccessfully.
    Adding glass to the elevation with a profile does not change the plan display, which is symbolic in nature, as you have discovered.
    Also, I wanted to show lever hardware in one of the door styles, but when I added to one style, the other styles show it as well. Why is it all or none? Do you know?
    You would need to add the lever hardware block to a style-level display override, so that it affects only that style, rather than to the drawing default level, where it will affect all doors that do not have a display override set for a given Display Representation.

Login to Give a bone

David,
    Thank you for your help on this matter.
    I followed your advice on display overrides and it works as I wanted it to.
    However, I am going to brush up on how to handle the door schedules to extract information from the door and door tags. If you have an idea on where to find a good resource, please let me know.
    Have a great day, since you made mine better already with your support,
    -alex

Login to Give a bone

You can find links to a number of scheduling resources in this blog article.

Login to Give a bone

David,
    Thank you for your help on this matter.
    I followed your advice on display overrides and it works as I wanted it to.
    However, I am going to brush up on how to handle the door schedules to extract information from the door and door tags. If you have an idea on where to find a good resource, please let me know.
    Have a great day, since you made mine better already with your support,
    -alex
    I took a quick look at this myself tonight, and I was reminded that you can not specify that the block be attached to the door panel component, only the door frame. That means it will not rotate to the angle specified for your door, making this less useful than it might be. Even if your doors will always be opened to the same rotation, getting it to scale for different opening sizes will be difficult, unless you keep the panel closed, as setting it to scale to width (of door opening), but having the block rotated to show the door 90-degrees open, merely ends up scaling the width of the door.

Perhaps someone else has tackled this issue and has come up with a better means than I did in playing around this evening.

Login to Give a bone

Well certainly not a better solution but maybe food for thought. It depends how many styles you have in your current drawing and whether or not this display scenario is typical of most of your work or just one project. If you make the 'Model' display representation (for doors only) active in your 'Plan' set (in addition to the 'Plan' display representation that is normally used) you get another set of door graphic components visible in plan view. And you could then attach a custom block to the 'Model' display representation for that style and this block can be attached to the leaf or glass component in addition to the frame option offered in the 'Plan' display representation. However this is a global change, not a style override, (adding the 'Model' display to your 'Plan' view that is) and every door in your drawing will end up with all these new (and probably unwanted) graphics. And even if you take the time to turn off all the unwanted components in each style... you would not be able to see any of them when you needed them in the 3d model display.

Alternately you could make a copy of the 'Model' display representation (for doors) that you use in plan view and leave the original 'Model' rep unscathed for use in 3d. Then you are left with only the chore of editing off unwanted door components style by style.

However this solution has another important drawback... you must fiddle with settings in the 'Display Manager'. I would tread lightly there if it is your first time, and definitely save a back up file before changing anything.

Exactly what 'Display Manager' settings to change and how would take a while more to explain, but this offers something to think about for those who feel comfortable making these kind of 'Display Representation' adjustments.

Just food for thought. Maybe someone else has a cleaner, simpler way of applying a 'Display Manager' based solution that is easy to implement without a tutorial in display management.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I have used a casement window and modified the display properties ( change the sash dimension, frame display to standard, turn off the sill in plan, and made the casement the same height of a door), then add arcs in the plan for the swing. This is not a perfect solution and hopefully autodesk and fix it.